CakesBaking & Desserts

Graham Cake Recipe

Many years ago, about 45, there was a recipe on a bag of Graham Flour (whole wheat) for a Graham Cake. I think it may have had some spice in it. Would anyone have that recipe. I have been looking for a very long time for it.

Anna S.

Did you find that recipe for the Graham cake?

I am reading a Diary written in the 50's by a cousin, who was in her late 70's at the time. She is always baking Graham Cakes. I would love to find that recipe. I think this must be the same recipe you are looking for!

I just might have that recipe.

My mother made graham cakes for special occasions. She's been gone for ten years now, and I've been thinking of baking one of those cakes. Anyway, the recipe I have contains no real liquids, so I'm thinking maybe she just added enough water to suit her. On the off chance that I'd find the complete recipe online, I landed here.

Here's an exact transcription of her recipe that, I suspect, she originally found on a sack of graham flour some 50 years ago. Like I said, there might be some liquids missing. The cake by the way, is dark brown and rather heavy -- sort of a fruit cake without all the fruit.

1 qt graham flour (or whole wheat flour if graham flour is unavailable)

1 cup white flour

2 cups sugar

3 tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1 tablespoon cinnamon

1 rounded tablespoon of baking soda

1 cup melted shortening

3 eggs

1 pound raisins

chopped walnuts to suit

Cook approximately 1 hr at 350 degrees F in a covered roaster-type pan.

I haven't tried this on my own yet, but I'll soon find out. ;-)

Hi,

this cake sounds delicious, please share yoru baking experience. How muchwater or liquid did you add?

The 4 quarts flour, do you mean 4 cups of flour? Please confirm the quart measure for flour. Quart is liquid not dry measure.

Thanks,

Carol

Carol, the way my mother wrote out the recipe was 1 quart of graham flour. (4 cups = 1 quart) A little unusual maybe, but that was my mom.

I've made it twice now, and the cake turned out just like I remembered it. Lots of memories. As far as liquid goes, I added water as I was mixing it. I can't really tell you how much, but it was just enough to make a stiff cake batter. I suspect that she played it by ear as well.

By the way, I asked my oldest sister, and she said that my mother did get this recipe off a bag of graham flour.