Shopping Bag Into Planting Bags

You can use a Food Saver Vacuum sealer or Seal A Meal, I think you can even use the small one that is battery operated for resealing chip bags.

Take plastic shopping bags (if they are too lightweight, they will not hold the seal). Cut off the handles and the bottom seam. Flatten the bag out completely. Fold the outside to the inside, you need to double the bag.

Divide bag in equal thirds. Now is when the Food Saver comes in, seal from top to bottom. While sealing, gently pull on the bag and it will separate, you should have a good seal.

Taking 1 of these small tubes, fold sides into the middle that will be the bottom, then seal. Be sure to cut a small slit anywhere across the bottom for drainage.

I use these for starting seeds, transplanting seedlings, cuttings, and even established plants.

By Babbie from Lemon Grove CA

Shopping Bag Into Planting Bags

great photos, thank you for the clear photos. Very money-saving tip!

These would work well for giving plants away. I'm always short on pots, and nothing needs to be returned. Great idea. Thanks.

This is an awesome tip! I start lots of plants from seeds and cuttings to share with family and friends. This is a great use for all those plastic bags. AND it gives me another reason to love my Food Saver.

Thank you !

A recycled market bag made from plastic grocery bags.
Uses for Plastic Grocery Bags
Photos GardenJanuary 31, 2008
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Reusable Shopping Bag
Homemade Reusable Shopping Bags
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
black shopping bag filled with fruit, veggies, and loaves of bread
Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags