Making a Reusable Shopping Bag

I don't know about you but I hate having to unload 20 bags of groceries that only hold a few items each. seems like it takes forever to haul them all in. I love using my own handmade fabric grocery bags. I keep material that is from clothing or scraps from fabric and make my own shopping bags. This way I am using my resources instead of the plastic bags that end up in the dump. You can make original bags that are gorgeous or just plain bags.

I also love the versatility of them. It makes me very happy to put my recycled material bags on the conveyor belt at the grocery store before I unload the groceries. I always ask them to pack the bags full. Also I find it so much easier to handle the groceries once I get home and have to unload.

So don't pitch that material. Make up some one of a kind grocery bags for your next shopping trip. It will make your experience so much easier.

I also use handles from discarded items or ties from clothing to make the handles. It is a breeze just to sew it onto the inside of the bag once it is finished.

By gem from Gordonsville, VA

3 More Solutions

Lay out material and cut out body of bag. With contrasting material cut out lining and straps. Fold bag, right sides together, sew sides, at bottom of bag, sew corners, 1 inch, cut off access.

fabric grocery bag with contrasting straps

This is a really simple project that requires no real pattern and once you feel comfortable, you can just cut freehand and "eyeball-it"

Enjoy this easy project and be ready for lots of compliments!

A finished collection of reinforced shopping bags.

Crafts OtherSeptember 17, 2012
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Reusable-Shopping-Bag.html