Tips For a New Dog Owner

I am adopting a 5-8 yrs old Poodle mix. The owner told me that he is a good dog, but pees sometimes at night. He also bites me when I want him to do something that he doesn't like. I have never owned a dog. Is that normal?

By newdog from Orlando, FL

Answers

What things are you are wanting the dog to do that causes it to snap at you? Talk to the previous owner and find out what they do in handling the dog to do certain things. It may be distrustful of you depending on how long you've owned this dog. If you are wanting to shampoo or do toenail clipping, a lot of dogs either do not like water or hate to have their toenails cut. In this case, buy a muzzle for it when you are grooming the dog.

December 2, 2010 Flag

I have a miniature Poodle and would like to know how to take care of him. Any tips for a new pet owner would be appreciated.

Rover from Brooklyn N.Y.

Answers:

Tips For a New Dog Owner

Treat him like a dog. Even though a new puppy is so cute and adorable, never allow him to do anything as a puppy that you don't want him to do later as a full grown, muddy, excited dog. Even toy Poodles can get muddy and jumping up on new stockings or clean clothes will ruin them in a hurry.

I have had lots of dogs small and large, but recently we got a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix puppy and it was to be my husband's dog. Little things like jumping on you when you come home, putting her front feet on the bed when she needed out to potty, laying on "daddy's" chest on the sofa were so cute. I tried to tell him. Now we have an 80 pound baby. The front feet on the bed = whole dog stretched from one side of the bed to the other (back feet still on floor and this is a waterbed). Now we have a rude dog jumping happily when she sees you (be ready with extra clothes for work). And she is awfully disappointed when she tries to lay on daddy's chest on the sofa! Start early teaching simple manners and obedience and you will always be proud of your pet. (02/24/2005)

By sheryl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Golden Retriever on Black Background
Adopting an Adult Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 2, 2010
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
Woman with Adopted Dog
Adopting a Pet
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
🎉
🎄