Who Remembers Paper Dolls?

contest winner icon

These days children don't even know what they are. If it doesn't plug into a TV or computer, kids don't know what it is! My 5 year old granddaughter's favorite words are "play with me". I try to find crafts to make, cutting out pictures, coloring, glitter, drawing; she loves it all.

One day I drew a paper doll and cut it out. I cut out a few outfits that fit, and she played for hours. She even took it home and played with it. Who knew that something so simple could out do video games?

By vguy from Earle, AR

I used to play with paper dolls when I was a little girl. Boy! Does that really date me!

There are still lots of paper dolls of all sorts at www.doverpublishing.com!!!

One modern change I made to paper dolls with my girls (now 17 and 21); I purchased the re-positionable glue sticks and we coated the backs of the "clothes" with it. Just like the yellow sticky notes, the clothes would stay on without the annoying tabs WE had to use. We stored the clothes on a piece of waxed paper. Paper dolls are great in the car!

If you type paper dolls into your search engine, you will find LOTS of websites that have free printable paper dolls. Many of them even have printable clothes. I found one that had holiday & period costumes for things like Thanksgiving, pioneers, etc. I used to print them out and use them for the classroom. The children really enjoyed relating to the clothing. It opened up discussions about how & why they would dress that way. Sometimes we did little plays to go along with the theme. I loved paper dolls when I was little too. Remember Betsy McCall?

I am 52 years old and I can remember playing with paper dolls! They were so fun and gave hours of enjoyment. Unfortunately alot of children don't know how to "play" without videos or electronic entertainment. It is a shame really because we learned so much creativity when we were growing up.

We can still buy books over here, containing 1 or 2 'pop-out' dolls + clothes. My grandchildren love them. They also print off others from the computer.

At about 5 years old in post war Germany, there were no Toys no TV and nothing to buy. My Aunt and I would make our own paper dolls. She would read to me while I designed clothes for the paper doll. Those were some of the more happy moments of my childhood.

Paper dolls - how I loved playing with them!

I loved playing with paper dolls. My Mom got the McCalls mag. And in the mag. was Betsy McCall and she had different outfits. I also loved Colorforms

I still have most all my paperdolls from my childhood. When my mom was a child, she used to make paper dolls out of catalog models and used the clothes. I have Lennon sisters, Connie Francis, Barbie and Ken, and Haley Mills to name a few. Great memories you brought back to me.

Jean in Ohio

This site has paperdoll software you can download for only 2 bucks. You can design paper dolls and clothes for them, then print.

http://www.billybear4kids.com/games/downloads/PaperDolls/GamePage.html

When visiting my grandaughter Willow last fall I made her some paperdolls. She loved them. I found the Betsy McCall dolls on line. I made copies and put Willows face over the paperdolls. She got a kick out of them. Great fun. I used to make my own when I was a child.

My most favorite past time! It encouraged me to learn to sew as well, a first primer to pattern making, too. I spent years sewing all of my daughter's clothing, bedding, and drapes from infancy to teen. Old pattern envelopes have

great paper-doll adults, children, teen, boys/men and many will interchange clothing

if you are careful. Thanks for the memories. I had almost forgotten those days sixty years ago! God bless you. : )

Yes, and those was the good old days. I made some for my grand-daughters that I found on a web site a couple of years ago, and they loved playing with them, and so did I, until my 2 grandson decided they looked better tore-up in pieces. I will print more when I get more ink for my printer, if I can find the site again. The site was free.

Ah, the good old days! Paper dolls were one of my favorite "toys" when I was a little girl growing up in the late 1940's in Hanover, Minnesota. When I got tired of my regular paper dolls, I would find pictures of people & clothes in Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward catalogs, cut them out & make my own customized paper dolls with an endless variety of outfits. Many quietly creative, happy hours were spent playing with these homemade dolls which I'm sure made my mother very happy as well.

Cutting out paper dolls.
Making Paper Dolls
Crafts Crafts For KidsMay 15, 2009
Granville House Doll
Finding the Value of Granville House Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
Framing Paper Dolls
Framing Paper Dolls
🎉
🎄