Making Paper Dolls

Category Toys
Even in the age of electronic toys, young children still enjoy playing with paper dolls. This is a guide about making paper dolls.

These days children don't even know what they are. If it doesn't plug into a TV or computer, kids don't know what it is! My 5 year old granddaughter's favorite words are "play with me". I try to find crafts to make, cutting out pictures, coloring, glitter, drawing; she loves it all.

One day I drew a paper doll and cut it out. I cut out a few outfits that fit, and she played for hours. She even took it home and played with it. Who knew that something so simple could out do video games?

By vguy from Earle, AR

I used to play with paper dolls when I was a little girl. Boy! Does that really date me!

There are still lots of paper dolls of all sorts at www.doverpublishing.com!!!

One modern change I made to paper dolls with my girls (now 17 and 21); I purchased the re-positionable glue sticks and we coated the backs of the "clothes" with it. Just like the yellow sticky notes, the clothes would stay on without the annoying tabs WE had to use. We stored the clothes on a piece of waxed paper. Paper dolls are great in the car!

If you type paper dolls into your search engine, you will find LOTS of websites that have free printable paper dolls. Many of them even have printable clothes. I found one that had holiday & period costumes for things like Thanksgiving, pioneers, etc. I used to print them out and use them for the classroom. The children really enjoyed relating to the clothing. It opened up discussions about how & why they would dress that way. Sometimes we did little plays to go along with the theme. I loved paper dolls when I was little too. Remember Betsy McCall?