Unsticking Glass Dishes

It can be frustrating trying to get glass dishes apart without breaking them. This is a guide about unsticking glass dishes.

April 29, 2010 Flag

Stuck bowls or glasses? No Problem! Forget WD 40, and ice and hot water. Try this: non-stick cooking spray around the stuck rim, wait 10 seconds, tap lightly with a wooden spoon upside down. And, Voila! Unstuck with non-stick.

By manofewords from San Francisco, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I tried the cooking spray first and that worked with the ice, warm water and wooden spoon tapping the edge.

Thank you!

February 24, 2005 Flag

I hope you can help me with this. I have two small cut crystal bowls. One is nested inside the other and I can't get it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

The bowls have been stuck together for at least a year. I tried the WD 40. No luck I let it set in hot water with ice cubes in side the upper bowl. No luck I'll try leaving it sit in more & Hotter water for a while. Ant recommendations on what is best to tap the glass with? And where to tap the glass? I'm glad it has worked before, there is hope it will eventually work in this instance also. Thank you. Betty

P.S. IT WORKED after I put the bowls in a kettle with cool water and heated it on low + and put ice cubes in the upper bowl AND had put WD 40 between the two bowls and had tapped on them about four times with a wooden handled utensil. AND ALL THIS TOOK only 3 hours. Thank you!!!!! Betty in ORegon

Best Answer

Yup, WD-40 is the key! One squirt on my stock ramekins and they practically fell apart. Of course, I tried ice and cooking oil, to no avail, before I found this post.

Best Answer

I LOVE the internet! I had 2 bowls nested and stuck this morning...tried hot water, microwaving them, freezing them and pouring safflower oil between them Then I checked the net, found this site, got the WD40, tapped with a spoon and BINGO! Thank you!

Best Answer

I had the same problem with 2 Corning ware bowls. I tried the hot water before I searched and found this post. I then applied Wd 40 and it allowed them to budge. But still stuck, in a different position. After a few minutes I thought a wedge might work. So I chopped off a few pieces of a spare 2x4. I used a hammer to gently wedge one splinter into the open side of the jam, and another splinter on the tight side. Upon hammering in the splinter in on the tight side the two bowls separated. Possible the wd-40 pulled with the wood wedge is a nice solution. Worked for me!!!

Great idea worked!!!

I had a stemless wine glass stuck in a Corningware grab it bowl. Sprayed WD 40 around it and about 5 seconds later I was able to remove it. THANK YOU for the suggestion.

I tried all the suggestions but my two China bowls remained firmly stuck. Finally I sprayed Easyglide into the gap between them, inverted them, and gave the outer bowl a fewsharp raps with a small hammer handle. They started to loosen, and after a few more raps easily parted, all intact.

Athol in Brisbane, Aust.

September 22, 2005 Flag

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

Best Answer

Put ice in the top one, that will make it contract. When it gets good and cold, try separating them.

Best Answer

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

what about putting them in the freezer? Make sure they are dry...seems like things get smaller in the freezer

I don't know if they will break, if they are casserole lids they are probably pretty tough and thick, but use at your own risk!!! I mean, if you've tried everything, right?

I just separated a lid from a canister. It was firmly stuck and put it (the edge of the lid) under running cold water in the sink. Ok, I know we do not have to waste water, but this glass canister (like the ones from old pharmacies, with a lid which simply inserts on the canister) was not mine and I was about to have a big problem.

After 2 minutes, I started gently to turned it from left to right and with the help of a thin sharp knife, it opened!!!!

Thanks anyway for the advices mentioned. I use a bit of each one.

I had two caseroles wedged together--the top one at an angle. Using suggestions from your website I filled the top casserole with ice, let it get cold, then placed both casseroles in hot water on the sink--the hot water just below the top of the bottom casserole. It wouldn't budge. Then my husband walked in with a wrench, used it as a lever, and POP, just like magic, they were separated.

Yes... This trick did help me. What I did is I kept the jammed pans in freezer ovrr night, next morning just held the outer surface of lower pan to hot tap water... Guess what in few seconds the pans came apart by themselves like a charm :) hope it helps

December 1, 2008 Flag

I was warming up some food in a large bowl by putting water in a glass pot and putting the plastic bow on top. Now the bowl is stuck inside my glass pot and I can't remove it. There is still a small amount of water in the pot but the bowl is embedded.

Staffney from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I had something similar happen with 2 pyrex baking dishes. I tried the hot/cold water method to no avail. Finally, on a whim, I sprayed both dishes with WD-40 and they slid apart like a charm.

Best Answer

Hot water expands fibres in certain materials. You need to shrink them instead. Try popping it in the fridge for a while or fill with icy cold water, and try separating them again.

This has happened to me unfortunately breaking my grandma's nice glass pie dish. I had gotten a plate stuck in in somehow when I was doing dishes. You should try putting it in the fridge to make it cold and they should pop apart. I wish I would have known. Good luck.

Sometimes having a change in temp will cause one or the other item to expand at a greater rate than the other and it will release. If cold dosen't do it try running hot water on the glass. The glass should expand from the heat and release the plastic.

I have two medal pots stuck and cannot get them apart. Tried putting them in the freezer - did not work. Tried oil between both - did not work. Really good pots - what else can I do?

Yes this helped me. What I did is I kept the jammed pans in the freezer overnight and next morning held just the outside surface of outer pan to hot tap water, guess what in few seconds it separated like a charm... Hope it helps

March 5, 2014 Flag

I was doing the dishes and when I pulled out two of them they where stuck together one facing the other, the openings together. I don't what to break either. We tried everything. Help.

By SR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put the bottom cup in cold water, warm wet cloth on the top cup. Temperature difference should expand the top cup and they should come apart.

Maybe you can spray the glasses with cooking spray.

Try putting them in the freezer for a while and see if that helps.

February 9, 2010 Flag

I have two 4 oz Pyrex measuring cups stuck together. Does anyone have any advice to "unstick" them?

By Yggep from Lewes, DE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try putting the bottom measuring cup in a bowl of very hot water and then putting some ice cubes into the top one. Then gently twist the top. It may take a couple of tries, but it should work.

An additional thing you could do is try to put drops of oil in between the two. Place it drop by drop at the seam between the two all the way around.

Dip the kitchen paper towel in water squeeze it out micro for 30 seconds then wrap the Pyrex cup with the hot paper towel and leave it for 10 seconds then the cups will automatically get released if it doesn't work try again for a couple of times you will certainly be successful.

I would just try ice water. If I remember my science, cold contracts.

I do what ppcaffrey does but I put the ice cubes in for a little bit before placing in the hot water so that the inside glass has already contracted. The hot water doesn't need to be from the stove, just put enough 'hot' tap water in the sink to 'almost' cover.

But, you have to be careful not to cool hot Pyrex quickly. Maybe if you put them in a saucepan and simmered them (on their sides) they would let go.

After you get them apart, keep a napkin between them when stored in the cupboard.

pots and pans stuck together
Separating Dishes that are Stuck Together
Home and Garden Repair Other DishesMarch 1, 2014
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
A sink full of dirty dishes, including plates and a frying pan.
Removing a Plate Stuck in Frying Pan
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
coffee cup stuck in small bowl or cup
Separating Fiestaware That is Stuck Together
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 6:08:06 AM on 10.0.1.80 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.