Unsticking Glass Dishes

Category Dishes
Stack of Glass Dishes
It can be frustrating trying to get glass dishes apart without breaking them. This is a guide about unsticking glass dishes.

Stuck bowls or glasses? No Problem! Forget WD 40, and ice and hot water. Try this: non-stick cooking spray around the stuck rim, wait 10 seconds, tap lightly with a wooden spoon upside down. And, Voila! Unstuck with non-stick.

By manofewords from San Francisco, CA

Top Comment

I tried the cooking spray first and that worked with the ice, warm water and wooden spoon tapping the edge.

Thank you!

I hope you can help me with this. I have two small cut crystal bowls. One is nested inside the other and I can't get it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sue

Best Answer

The bowls have been stuck together for at least a year. I tried the WD 40. No luck I let it set in hot water with ice cubes in side the upper bowl. No luck I'll try leaving it sit in more & Hotter water for a while. Ant recommendations on what is best to tap the glass with? And where to tap the glass? I'm glad it has worked before, there is hope it will eventually work in this instance also. Thank you. Betty

P.S. IT WORKED after I put the bowls in a kettle with cool water and heated it on low + and put ice cubes in the upper bowl AND had put WD 40 between the two bowls and had tapped on them about four times with a wooden handled utensil. AND ALL THIS TOOK only 3 hours. Thank you!!!!! Betty in ORegon

Best Answer

Yup, WD-40 is the key! One squirt on my stock ramekins and they practically fell apart. Of course, I tried ice and cooking oil, to no avail, before I found this post.

Best Answer

I LOVE the internet! I had 2 bowls nested and stuck this morning...tried hot water, microwaving them, freezing them and pouring safflower oil between them Then I checked the net, found this site, got the WD40, tapped with a spoon and BINGO! Thank you!

Best Answer

I had the same problem with 2 Corning ware bowls. I tried the hot water before I searched and found this post. I then applied Wd 40 and it allowed them to budge. But still stuck, in a different position. After a few minutes I thought a wedge might work. So I chopped off a few pieces of a spare 2x4. I used a hammer to gently wedge one splinter into the open side of the jam, and another splinter on the tight side. Upon hammering in the splinter in on the tight side the two bowls separated. Possible the wd-40 pulled with the wood wedge is a nice solution. Worked for me!!!

I have two glass casserole dish lids that are stuck together like glue on paper. I have tried soaking them in hot and cold water, banging them apart, dish soap, oil, and a knife to try and separate the two. I have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone have the magic solution to this odd and inconvenient problem?

Nita from Michigan

Best Answer

Have you tried cooking oil to try to get them apart ? or the bakeing spray , like pam ,ect . maybe if you spray the lids with that in the area where they are stuck together you can work the apart .

Best Answer

Put ice in the top one, that will make it contract. When it gets good and cold, try separating them.

Best Answer

Cold will contract (shrink) glass and heat will cause it to expand. It isn't visible, but it is enough to help get stuck glass items apart.

Cool the inner lid (ice sound like a great idea) and warm the outer one at the same time. This should help. It is the preferred method for separating 2 glasses stuck together, there's no reason it can't work for lids.

Denise

I was warming up some food in a large bowl by putting water in a glass pot and putting the plastic bow on top. Now the bowl is stuck inside my glass pot and I can't remove it. There is still a small amount of water in the pot but the bowl is embedded.

Staffney from Baltimore, MD

Best Answer

I had something similar happen with 2 pyrex baking dishes. I tried the hot/cold water method to no avail. Finally, on a whim, I sprayed both dishes with WD-40 and they slid apart like a charm.

Best Answer

Hot water expands fibres in certain materials. You need to shrink them instead. Try popping it in the fridge for a while or fill with icy cold water, and try separating them again.

I have two 4 oz Pyrex measuring cups stuck together. Does anyone have any advice to "unstick" them?

By Yggep from Lewes, DE

Anonymous

I do what ppcaffrey does but I put the ice cubes in for a little bit before placing in the hot water so that the inside glass has already contracted. The hot water doesn't need to be from the stove, just put enough 'hot' tap water in the sink to 'almost' cover.

But, you have to be careful not to cool hot Pyrex quickly. Maybe if you put them in a saucepan and simmered them (on their sides) they would let go.

After you get them apart, keep a napkin between them when stored in the cupboard.

I was doing the dishes and when I pulled out two of them they where stuck together one facing the other, the openings together. I don't what to break either. We tried everything. Help.

By SR

Put the bottom cup in cold water, warm wet cloth on the top cup. Temperature difference should expand the top cup and they should come apart.

Maybe you can spray the glasses with cooking spray.

Try putting them in the freezer for a while and see if that helps.