Making a Glass Pedestal Dish

Category Decorations
You can make your own unique pedestal dish using glass serving dishes and any type of stemmed glass, such as a wine glass or ice cream dish. This is a guide about making a glass pedestal dish.

This year, for my sister's birthday, I decided to give her something unique. I purchased a 1962 calendar plate (the year she was born) off of eBay. I then found a candle holder at my local thrift store that was perfect for a stand. I glued the plate to the candle holder to create a one-of-a-kind cake stand. I made a batch of 7-layer cookie bars and covered the plate with the treats before giving it to her.

I told her that once she ate the goodies, she would realize the significance of the gift. Needless to say, she couldn't wait to see what was underneath the goodies, so she immediately transferred the cookie bars to another container as soon as she got home to see what was underneath! She called to tell me how pleased she was with her gift.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

This pedestal dish can be used to hold cupcakes, cookies, cakes or candles, jewelry, whatever! Make it with dishes from family or you can get old ones at the Goodwill or thrift shop. Make for yourself or give as a gift.

Approximate Time:

Instructions:

1. Lightly sand the edges of ice cream dish or candle holder on the edge you are going to glue.

2. Glue the edges of the holder, then simply put your favorite plate on it.

3. Weight it down with a heavy can and let it sit overnight.

That's it! You have a pretty dish that is so easy to make and they make nice presents. I love to do crafts, but they have to be easy and quick. This dish is both! Don't wash in dishwasher, just clean with a wet sponge.

By Dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

If you break a glass candle stick; what to do? You take an old plate and use the Gorilla Glue for glass and glue the candle stick onto the bottom of the plate. Now you will have a pretty cake plate. I got the idea for this when I wanted to make gifts for the parents in my pre-school for Christmas. It takes only minutes and dries in about 30 minutes. I hand wash.

I saw the idea in a County Living magazine issue.