Craft Ideas For Plaster Of Paris

Any ideas for crafts using Plaster of Paris? I have a container left over from a sculpture mold project. I am doing a slumber party this fall for my 7 year old daughter. Maybe we could make a craft with the party guests from Plaster of Paris?

Deena from Glendale, AZ

Make a pinata

Blow up balloons

Tape balloons together into pinata shape

Coat strips of newspaper in plaster of paris and cover the balloon. If you are really good with the strips you can make a loop in the top to hang the pinata from.

If the girls do this the first night they can paint them the next day, depending on how many layers and how fast the plaster dries.

Finally, cut a hole in the top and fill with candy.

Then Smash! and eat candy!

I have seen where people use it to make sidewalk chalk. Can't remember whay they used as moulds though! Cheers.

I would say that using those rubber candy molds would be a fun project. You can get some at the Dollar Tree stores and then pour in plaster and let the plaster dry in the molds and then push them out and voila you have litter shapes or even "critters" depending on what molds you've used. They can then even paint them later if they want.

You could also make handprints for the girls to paint and take home. Just pour the plaster into a deep styrofoam plate have them hold their hand in it until it sets up and they can paint them when they're dry. lI'd put a layer of plastic wrap over the plaster so no one gets too messy. Just like "baby" foot and hand prints.

I have a couple of ideas. One is sort of the same version as one above.

First, making lady bugs. I mix the plaster of paris and put in plastic spoons. Let harden and slip off the spoon mold. Paint with red paint, let dry. Taking pencils with erasers, dip eraser end of pencil in black paint and make the spots. I would also if wanted spray some shiny shellac after paint dries.

Second, this is a version of one above. I go to Michaels or Joans crafts. Get some candy molds. The craft store also has some Faster Plaster and used to have molds. I would use the regular plaster of paris in these and make magnets.

You could line paper plates with plastic and make stepping stones. Have handy lots of glass beads, marbles, bottle caps, plastic letters, plastic animals, and so on to decorate the tops. Concrete would be even better, but plaster will be enjoyable as a decoration, not stepped on, for a good long time.

Adding to the plastic spoon craft, you can also make pins by sticking in a safety pin while it sets. Then, paint, decorate, personalize accordingly.

If you have some interesting molds you could make sand sculptures.

Moisten the sand a little and press the mold into the sand, then pour the plaster of paris into the mold shape and let dry.

When it is dry gently pull out the sculpture and gently brush off the excess sand.

Something different and something that all the mess is outside.

You could add glitter to the sand for some sparkle

You could make chalk by making the plaster and add food coloring, then pour into a toilet paper tube, let dry then enjoy!

May 23, 2012 Flag

There was a fad about 30 yrs. ago where people made small plaster of Paris slabs and transferred pictures from magazine pages or snapshots to the slab. I would like to know how to do this.

By R.C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't know if this will help but maybe one of these processes will work

12 Different ways to Transfer Images ... -image-transfer-methods-for-diy.html

Jackie, Va. Beach, VA USA

three cute black plaster elephants in the grass
Plaster of Paris Casting and Painting
Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 12, 2007
cleaning bucket
Cleaning Unpainted Plaster Walls
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Patching a Plaster Wall
Patching a Plaster Wall
Green Plaster Walls
Painting Plaster Walls