Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit

Can I plant a sweet cherry pit and grow a tree?

By Clutterfree from Charleston, SC

Best Answer

I got at least 50 by throwing the pits left from canning out into the flower bed. We gradually trimmed out all but one. It doesn't produce heavily, but it's in mostly shade. What it does beautifully is give us shade on the house. Between the cherry and the apricot we got when one of the kids put a pit out, the house is a good 20 degrees cooler in the summer. We like it so much, we planted some plum trees on the other side of the house.

I started a lemon tree from a seed in a grocery store lemon and it lived for years. Looks like Ellen has some great advice archived in this post, I would check it out (scroll down)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I don't see why you should have a problem. The hardiness zone for trees is incorrect. I'm in 5b in Grand Rapids, Michigan and Traverse City, Michigan is up north further and they are the Cherry Capital of the state, if not of the country.

growing a cherry tree from a pit.
Starting a Cherry Tree from a Pit
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Fruit TreesJune 2, 2009
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)