Cleaning Shortcuts

I'm disabled and can be on my legs for only short periods at a time. There's got to be some "short cuts" when it comes to cleaning, dusting, etc.? Other than just doing it for short periods (HaHaHa...).

Thanks!
Zone 9
Trish from Tucson, AZ

Try to declutter best you can, gives you less to fuss and clean. Second if you have a family ,friend someone who can help you for 2-3 hour on weekly basis. This helps so you don't fall behind or get overwhelmed. Perhaps offer to do something in trade for them. I used to tape scifi movies for my little sis and she would come over do dishes and dusting at my place (when I was single and way too busy to clean) for the movies it was a trade. She hates to tape or tivo stuff.

Also prepare meals in advance when possible and sit to do this as much as possible and package in freezer and frig for meals in advance. Try a thick phone book under one foot while doing dishes at sink. It keeps one elevated and helps your back. A doctor told me that one.

If you can afford to hire a teen someone you know to come in to vacuum, dust or load dishwasher. My mom hurt her ankle and was too proud to ask or wait for help so I caught her once in kitchen wheeling around in a office chair on wheels. She got along fine taking her time and doing what she wanted on her time. It used to make my dad laugh the things she came up with.

Good luck oh also check to see if your insurance covers any HOME CARE HELP, if you are a Veteran rated for medical they will IF YOU ASK hire a company to send out someone for a few hours a week or more to help. Other insurances offer this ask your doctor or community to see if there is a program you qualify for. Good Luck and being disabled does not mean you have to lose your sense of humor.

Live, Laugh & Enjoy

Annie

I think I had way too much coffee...buzzz buzzz bye

Join www.flylady.com. You will get lots of support and many ideas.. (smile) I recommend a feather duster. I got mine from Clean Team. They have long handles and make dusting a cinch. Also, use a Swiffer mop... with wet wipes made for that purpose purchased at the $1 store... Let your cleaning supplies do the scrubbing for you.. Spray it on and let it sit... Try a long handled tool to clean the tub and other hard to reach areas... maybe one of the new ones from Mr Clean.. good luck... Now I wasnt kidding when I said try flylady.. you wont be sorry.. you are not alone...

I don't know about other religions, but try asking the bishop of the local Mormon church if there is a girl in her early to mid teens (say between 12 and 15) and if she will help you with chores, you could tutor her on a subject at school, or you'll teach her some of your family's favourite recipes, or teach her to sew...something you can teach sitting down. Just an idea. The males may not be as receptive. Sometimes scouts (well, back in MY day) used to earn badges by helping someone in need...Or going along that theme, if your house is able to, offer to host a scouts meeting one time...Just some ideas.

I have the same problem. I have one of the cheap rolling computer chairs in my kitchen and I roll from my sink to my stove etc. I use it to do everything in the kitchen. To work in my living room or bedroom cleaning I pick one spot to clean at a time and put a chair there clean all that and then move it somewhere else.

WHen you mop, sit on the kitchen chair (or office chair, whatever.) I did that when my back went out, and after the babies. Also, looking at volunteers, or even barter/pay low fee for cleaning help. Oh...saw on t.v. lastnight, scrubbing bubbles has a new system (self-cleaning that is) to clean showers....if that pertains (my kids only use tub, so that's one less shower wall to clean. what also helps is having cleaning supplies already set up on each level of the house, or each bathroom, kitchen, etc that way you are not carrying everything around.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 31, 2006
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
A large family eating breakfast.
Parenting a Large Family
Cleaning Mirrors
Cleaning Mirrors
🎄