Avoid Grocery Store Splurges

I tend to do my shopping in bulk, except for milk and fresh fruits. I feel I save more money this way. I make my list, attach the weekly ad and coupons to it and go.

Recently I went shopping with a friend who shopped similar to how I shop, only she made 2 major mistakes. First, she "got hungry" while we were shopping and spent $12 on lunch. Then, because we bought a van full, it would "take too long to unload to fix dinner", so she stopped and bought pizza to take home, another $32. Basically, what she saved shopping, she spent in convenience foods, so she really didn't save!

I eat before I shop, and on the days I buy big (I shop big at Aldi every 8 weeks), I fix supper ahead of time and have it waiting in the crock pot. That way, after I shop for 90 minutes and spend another 50 minutes putting it away, we can sit down and eat.

So, my tip is to eat before you shop and plan your supper ahead of time and have it waiting!

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

Editor's Note: Do you have any other tips for avoiding unnecessary expenses when you go grocery shopping? Post them here.

Agreed and Thumbs Up! I never put anything in the grocery cart that is not on my original shopping list and don't even think to add a last minute temptation at the checkout counter like a pack of gum or candybar or magazine! On the magazine portion just hope it's a long line so you can thumb through it really quickly or let the person in line behind you go ahead of you so you can peruse the article that caught your eye. LOL. ;-)

I agree with this but maybe her picking up something to eat on the way home is her night out! I used to do that, we would go out or pick up something once a week. If I had to go to the grocery store near supper that week then that would be our eat out night. This gave me a break and treat for me!

My hubby and I eat before we do our once a week shopping altho we do eat out but its our once a week date too. We have the problem tho that once we eat and then go food shopping, we're not hungry and we find out that sure we don't spend much in store but by midweek pantry and fridge is empty lol but you have very good ideas. that now hubby is retired and money needs to be handled better and I will try your shopping ideas .

A paper bag of groceries.
Saving Money on Groceries
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingJanuary 11, 2011
Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store
Woman receiving change at the grocery store
Advice for Stretching Your Grocery Budget
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎉
🎄