Watch Out for Lead Content in Crystal Beads

I do a lot of crafts and had always been intimidated by bead work and jewelry making. I took a couple of classes at Michaels and now I'm hooked. I went online looking for less expensive supplies. There are many sites out there and along with the purchase of supplies, I got a lot of instructions for making items and very good information about beads and such. Swarovski (Austrian) crystals are gorgeous and shine brilliantly. But what makes them so dangerous is the very high lead content in them. I refuse to use them for that very reason. Semi-precious stones, gemstones, and even glass beads can be used to make very pretty items.

By matjat from Denton, TX

The lead content in Swarovski crystals would only be dangerous if you crushed the crystal into powder form & ingested it. They are perfectly safe to use. Even if the crystal were to be swallowed the glass coating would not break down, therefor these are in fact not dangerous.

So, do you eat them or what? I can't believe the way some people panic over things like this. I could go on, but don't want to be kicked off this site.

I also am much of a bead lover and have been for over 35 yrs and use to be able to buy beads anywhere and on the "cheap" as to find those beads are almost impossible and these Swarovski crystals are so darn expensive I cannot afford them to make certain items and anything you find these days are to make jewelry and that is just not my thing. I have a ton of beading books to make everything from "jewelry" to mobiles and miss making those items due to the now expense of those crystals and not being able to find the lesser expensive type beads!

I was looking for information on the lead content in the Swarovski crystal beads and can't thank you enough for your most helpful information.

Why is it a surprise to find out that lead crystal beads have lead in them? The most beautiful crystal in the world has a high lead content. That's what gives it its sparkle and beautiful tone when thumped.

Crystal Decanter
Using Lead Crystal
Crafts BeadworkMay 25, 2010
Pony Beads
Crafts Using Pony Beads
Crystal Chandelier
Making a Crystal Chandelier
Red Wine in Crystal Glass on Black
Cleaning Crystal
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch