Reviving Dry Erase Markers

Is there any way to recondition a dry eraser marker? I know it still has plenty of ink, but the cap didn't click well enough.

Thank you!

Maria from Derwood, MD

Pry off the bottom (it helps to put on rubber gloves- you can grip it better) and put 4-5 drops of water on the end of the fat ink-supply thing and store it upside down for a couple of days. I've never done it on dry-erase markers, but it works great on regular or permanent ones. (Ultra-fine to fat-tipped.)

Perhaps (NOT SURE), allowing the tip to sit a few hours in a small amount of rubbing alcohol? It should wick up into the marker barrel, reconstituting the dried ink. Gently turn in upside down & back a few times during the soaking. Keep watch to be sure it doesn't dilute too much. Regular markers can be revived by soaking a few hours in a shallow amount of plain tap water. Sometimes leaves them a bit too diluted, have to keep checking on them also.

This is NUTS... works for just about anything else... how about soaking the tip in a shallow amount of plain white vinegar? anyone?

I use rubbing alcohol to remove the lettering from my dry erase board so I'm questioning using it to reconstitute the markers themselves. I could be wrong though, only questioning.

Guess I'll have to give up. I have tried: alcohol, water & nail polish remover w/o success. Only thing I haven't tried is vinegar. Maybe I should just buy new ones...:(

-m.

Easiest, fastest, cheapest method!!: attach a string to the end of the marker (taping a knotted string works pretty well), spin the marker over your head several times. Centrifugal force will move any remaining ink to the marker tip. Make sure the cap is on though!! And be careful removing the cap, do it over a sink or wad of paper towels because sometimes a lot of ink can pool up in the cap. I'm a math teacher at a low income high school and we are always looking to save money in our department!

Wow - I just tried it and swinging the marker around on a string really does work brilliantly! and instantly!

Thank you for the idea!

Wow, the spinning thing works well. I got a little too over zealous on the spinning and was winging it around like a helicopter, I think 3-5 good spins is enough. If not -do more. The ink does pool in the cap and I think i wasted a lot. If you have a hard time attaching string to your marker, just tie it then wrap tape around it too, this should be secure enough. Good luck.

Thanks for the spinning idea. Worked like a charm for a homeschool mom on a budget:)

Spinning with a string works like magic! I had a set of 4 dry erase markers that had stayed for 3 years in their packaging, still unused. When I tried them, 3 seemed dried out. I still wonder how it is possible, with the cap sealing well and all. Anyway, I was pissed. I had the idea to put them tip down in alcohol. After a couple of hours, one of them revived. But even after 3 days in the alcohol, the remaining 2 were still inkless. I found this thread via google, tried Atwilkes' spinning trick, and seconds later, the 2 stubborn markers were revived! Thank you Atwilkes.

The spinning thing works like a charm! Thanks, atwilkes!

Tried spinning around on a string, worked great, for about 3 minutes and then dried up again :(

Holy Guacamole! I have an old pre-1980's test tube centrifuge. A few seconds in that baby and voila. Just like new. Make sure to wear goggles.

Anonymous

You can possibly take the end off of the dry erase marker with a pair of pliers and fill it with rubbing alcohol or water and put the end back on and wait over night.

Anonymous

Yeah, do the same process with alcohol.