Plumerias - The Hawaiian Lei Flower

Plumerias are fun and easy to grow! Known as the Hawaiian Lei Flower, they can be both fragrant and beautiful. Look around as you drive or walk in your neighborhood - if you spot a plumeria tree or bush, politely knock on the door and ask if you could have a cutting. Never cut without permission.

Plumerias require well draining soil and can not get frost at all. They grow easily from cuttings. If you live in an area where it freezes, you can just bring the plant inside for winter.

When there are lots of blooms on your plumeria, you CRAFTY THRIFTY FUN-ERIANS can enjoy stringing them into fragrant, beautiful leis.

By Nancycorinne from Los Angeles, CA

Hi lovely photos. We call these beautiful flowers Frangipani in Australia. Their perfume is wonderful too my favourite is the white with yellow centre.

We are able to buy cuttings for these lovely flowers every year at the Minnesota State Fair. My husband was able to buy a plant one year and it is still doing well, I have tried the cuttings several times and they don"t seem to make it past a few leaves growing then the stem turns all mushy and it's dead. If you would be interested in letting me have or purchase a few cuttings, maybe with your help I could actually get it to last to a bloom stage

Yes, Gail, they are also known as frangipani here in the states, but they are more often referred to as plumeria. Many varities have come recently from Australia (or OZ) as my friends on the forum I am a member of call them. Some of the Oz cultivars are very desirable!

Kathysangels, I'd love to send you a cutting, but there are some agricultural rules that might make that difficult. I think you might make some friends on the Maui Plumeria Gardens froum. WWW.mauiplumeriagardens.com then click on forums. Tell them I sent you!!!

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm looking forward to more!

They are so beautiful! Are they easier or more difficult to grow than Orchids? I'm having a really hard time trying to get my Orchid to bloom again/keep growing! I think Plumerias are the ones I always loved seeing pictured on fabric, etc. and thought they were something else. I might have to go looking to see if I can find someone that grows them to see if I can get some cuttings here locally now!

God Bless,

Sheila in Cocoa, FL

Hi Shelia!

I have had no luck with orchids, I'm not a good one to go to for advice on that but you will find lots of plumeria growers, collectors and sellers in Florida.

Join the website, it's free and you'll make friends who live near you.

Oh pretty! Love the pink and the yellow, well all... They are really lovely.

Frangipani
Growing Frangipani (Plumerias)
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersSeptember 11, 2008
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Frangipani Tree with pink blossoms.
Pruning a Frangipani Tree
Hawaiian Luau
Hawaiian Luau Recipes
Hawaiian Food Locomoco Rice
Hawaiian Recipes
🎄