Weight Watchers Diet Plan from Late 1980s to early 1990s

I had great success on the old Weight Watchers plan in 1989, if someone can help me with the food list, the exchanges, and what ever else I would need to get started I would appreciate your help more then you would know? To be honest I'm very scared at this point with the unknown.

I became immobile due to my right knee needing to be replaced. I weighed 329 pounds on July 29, 2007 that saved my life. I'm now at 183, however, I had lost down to 155 pounds. I've had a steady weight gain since about October causing me great concern. I've also had a total left hip replacement with a DePuy device which has been recalled, I have high levels of cobalt and chromium in my system. The specialist I've been seeing doesn't seem to know what to do. He just keeps sending me for test upon test, I guess trying to figure out what to do.

I know in the mean time I have felt sick since late June 2010, I'm not sure if it's the stress causing me to gain weight or the fact that I'm becoming immobile again due to the amount of pain I'm in and feeling sick all the time.

I had my right knee replaced, also with a DePuy device, I've continued to be in great pain with this device, and fluid that ponds just below my knee, with pain that shoots down into my shin bone. I keep being told that the x-rays show I'm fine however I know I'm not fine it hurts all the time. I doing my best to live with all of this pain and suffering I'm in.

I feel if I can find the Weight Watchers plan that helped me lose 50 pounds after the birth of my son in 1985 I could lose these extra pounds and keep them off.

Thank you for your time.

By Curious Lady 1961

I do not have the data from that far back and I don't think the WW frozen foods have those exchanges on them any more. WW has a new Points Plus system, but I cannot find any site that tells you how to calculate the number of points you are allowed per day. But I can tell you how to calculate based on the older points system (it was just replaced recently--I think so WW could say it is a "new" program).

The older Points system gave you an allowed daily points you could eat. Daily allowed points calculation was:

female 2, male 8, nursing mom 12;

age 17-26= 4, 27-37 =3, 38-47 =2, 48-58 =1, over 58 =0; under 5'1" = 0, 5'1"-5'10"=1, over 5'10"=2;

the 1st 2 digits of your weight, for example if you weigh 183 it is 18;

activity--most of the day sitting =0, occasionally sitting but mostly standing = 2, walking most of the time = 4, hard physical work =6.

Add up your points and the total = daily points allowed, plus you get 35 "free" points per week--can be used all at once or spaced out during the week. There is no carry over of daily points from one day to the other nor is there carry over for "free" weekly points.

Now you need to know how many points are in your food so you can keep track of points eaten. Food point calculations are:

calories divided by 50 = A;

fat grams divided by 12 = B,

fiber grams divided by 5 = Y.

Then A + B = X.

X minus Y = point value of that food item.

You'll need to do some math, but it works.

I've currently lost 25 pounds in 2 months by eating at least 4 servings of raw fruits (no bananas), 6 sevings of raw or steamed vegetables (no potatoes, only low fat salad dressing -1 Tblsp.), no starches, no nuts, no sugars (can use splenda or stevia), no fried foods, only 2 servings of boiled, steamed, broiled, grilled protein a day (about 4 ounces each) not fried, and lots of water. This basically gives you a low fat, low calorie diet but you feel full.

I believe the diabetic exchange diet is very similar, so you might want to look that up.

2 fruits

3+ vegies

2 dairy

3 fats

6 breads/grains

6 proteins

8 glasses of water

But how do I figure out what is in the frozen foods they sell now. It only tells the points? Is it possible to do so? I loved the old program too.

Do consider a second opinion on the recalled hip replacement. Two people I know who had these hip replacements felt very sick. They felt it was the heavy metals in their systems. Both of them had the replacements replaced. Afterwards they did not feel ill all the time. You can find some folks with 1st hand experience on the net. sharing their experiences. Good luck to you and congratulations on the incredible weight loss. Dont wait on the 2nd opinion.

Try this used books site. Click on advanced search in the upper right corner to enter weight watchers and the years 1980 to 1990. I found a few titles. Good luck.

http://www.alibris.com

Am looking for a copy of the old weight watchers program. the one where you counted , fat, protein, dairy and so on

I have the personal choice

Level 1/2/3 and men's allowance

If interested

1980's Weight Watchers Plans
1980's Weight Watchers Plans
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingMay 11, 2011
Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Pumpkin and Carrot Muffins
Weight Watchers Help Scale
Calculating Weight Watchers Point Totals
A girl holding a healthy meal in one hand and an unhealthy meal in the other.
Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plans
Yogurt Bread Dough
Weight Watchers Yogurt Bread Dough
🎉
🎄