1980's Weight Watchers Plans

Category Dieting
Finding the older diet recipes that have worked for you is sometimes a challenge. This guide is about 1980's Weight Watcher plans.

A number of posters are asking for information on the old Weight Watchers Exchange Program from the 80s. eBay has listings for the Weight Watchers Quick Start PLUS Program Cookbook. Same as mine from 1986, it lists all the information from the Exchange Program.

Finding Old Weight Watchers Programs

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Where can I get the '80s version of Weight Watchers.

By Suesan from USA

Answers

Best Answer

I see requests for different plans all the time, especially from the 80s. One thing to keep in mind is that a plan that had great success 20 years ago might not work as well for you today. Older bodies retain weight more than people in their 20s or 30s and your metabolism naturally decreases, especially if you are less active.

I have used the newer Weight Watchers plans (from 2007 - 2012) to great success. I know that they change the plans slightly every couple of years to fit new guidelines or take into account new scientific findings about nutrition and weight loss. I would try the newest plan and see if you can tailor it to your lifestyle. I found the leaders always very willing to discuss options and substitutions.

Good luck with whatever plan you choose to follow.

I had great success on the old Weight Watchers plan in 1989, if someone can help me with the food list, the exchanges, and what ever else I would need to get started I would appreciate your help more then you would know? To be honest I'm very scared at this point with the unknown.

I became immobile due to my right knee needing to be replaced. I weighed 329 pounds on July 29, 2007 that saved my life. I'm now at 183, however, I had lost down to 155 pounds. I've had a steady weight gain since about October causing me great concern. I've also had a total left hip replacement with a DePuy device which has been recalled, I have high levels of cobalt and chromium in my system. The specialist I've been seeing doesn't seem to know what to do. He just keeps sending me for test upon test, I guess trying to figure out what to do.

I know in the mean time I have felt sick since late June 2010, I'm not sure if it's the stress causing me to gain weight or the fact that I'm becoming immobile again due to the amount of pain I'm in and feeling sick all the time.

I had my right knee replaced, also with a DePuy device, I've continued to be in great pain with this device, and fluid that ponds just below my knee, with pain that shoots down into my shin bone. I keep being told that the x-rays show I'm fine however I know I'm not fine it hurts all the time. I doing my best to live with all of this pain and suffering I'm in.

I feel if I can find the Weight Watchers plan that helped me lose 50 pounds after the birth of my son in 1985 I could lose these extra pounds and keep them off.

Thank you for your time.

By Curious Lady 1961

Answers

I do not have the data from that far back and I don't think the WW frozen foods have those exchanges on them any more. WW has a new Points Plus system, but I cannot find any site that tells you how to calculate the number of points you are allowed per day. But I can tell you how to calculate based on the older points system (it was just replaced recently--I think so WW could say it is a "new" program).
The older Points system gave you an allowed daily points you could eat. Daily allowed points calculation was:
female 2, male 8, nursing mom 12;
age 17-26= 4, 27-37 =3, 38-47 =2, 48-58 =1, over 58 =0; under 5'1" = 0, 5'1"-5'10"=1, over 5'10"=2;
the 1st 2 digits of your weight, for example if you weigh 183 it is 18;

activity--most of the day sitting =0, occasionally sitting but mostly standing = 2, walking most of the time = 4, hard physical work =6.
Add up your points and the total = daily points allowed, plus you get 35 "free" points per week--can be used all at once or spaced out during the week. There is no carry over of daily points from one day to the other nor is there carry over for "free" weekly points.
Now you need to know how many points are in your food so you can keep track of points eaten. Food point calculations are:
calories divided by 50 = A;
fat grams divided by 12 = B,
fiber grams divided by 5 = Y.
Then A + B = X.
X minus Y = point value of that food item.
You'll need to do some math, but it works.
I've currently lost 25 pounds in 2 months by eating at least 4 servings of raw fruits (no bananas), 6 sevings of raw or steamed vegetables (no potatoes, only low fat salad dressing -1 Tblsp.), no starches, no nuts, no sugars (can use splenda or stevia), no fried foods, only 2 servings of boiled, steamed, broiled, grilled protein a day (about 4 ounces each) not fried, and lots of water. This basically gives you a low fat, low calorie diet but you feel full.

I believe the diabetic exchange diet is very similar, so you might want to look that up.
2 fruits
3+ vegies
2 dairy
3 fats
6 breads/grains
6 proteins
8 glasses of water

Do consider a second opinion on the recalled hip replacement. Two people I know who had these hip replacements felt very sick. They felt it was the heavy metals in their systems. Both of them had the replacements replaced. Afterwards they did not feel ill all the time. You can find some folks with 1st hand experience on the net. sharing their experiences. Good luck to you and congratulations on the incredible weight loss. Dont wait on the 2nd opinion.

Try this used books site. Click on advanced search in the upper right corner to enter weight watchers and the years 1980 to 1990. I found a few titles. Good luck.

http://www.alibris.com

I am searching for the Weight Watchers weekly journals from the late 80s and 90s. I believe there were six weeks worth and then there was a large maintenance sheet where you filled in your daily progress, food categories, water, exercise, etc. This was the best program! I used it to return to my pre-pregnancy weight, five times. Now I'm approaching menopause and have had serious health issues and gained 60 pounds in one year. If anyone has any information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much.

By Ronda from MD

Answers

I think they are both here:
http://www.star  ht-watcher-form/
and
here:
http://www.keep  ine_journals.php

I think if you look up diabetes exchange diet you will find about the same thing.
I, too, loved this program. You'd think WW would take a hint and bring it back.
I am going to try this (my version):
6 bread/starch
3+ vegies
2-3 fruit
2 dairy
6-8 protein
3-4 fat
8 water

Me again. Diet bites.com has tracking sheets, not the same as WW ones but should work. I hope you have inspired me to start.

Thanks for posting this information. I agree that the WW plan back then was better, and I'm going to try it again. The current plan seems too complicated to me. I also had great success with this previously.

Is the the plan that has the large diary sheet, maybe legal size? The plan booklet is paperback, orange, with the outline of a moving person on it? I have it.

Can someone email me a copy of the weight watchers quick control plan from 1984

Rhonda, were you ever able to get a copy of the quick control diet. I too am in desperate need for myself and my 18 year old son. If you have it can you please send me a copy.

I, too, am looking for the menus and exchange lists from the Weight Watchers Quick Start Program from 1984. I would appreciate anything at all anyone can e-mail me. I remember going to meetings with my mom back in the 80s and this program was simple, easy, and it worked!
I am now experiencing chronic back pain from back problems and I know losing weight could reduce my pain. Thank you so much and God Bless!

By Amy C.

Answers

HI! If you can get the old WW cookbook, it has all the values there. But here they are for women per day:

Protiens: 9 oz
Fats: 3 (includes butter, oils, mayo, etc. 1 tbsp is a serving)
Milks: 2 (include yogurt, etc).
Veggies: 2 cups at least
Fruit: 3
Bread: 3 (includes pasta & rice, 1/2 cup is a serving)

Eat liver & onions once a week; no more than an ounce of cheese a day; cereal & cottage cheese can be counted as proteins if eaten at breakfast. If you have peanut butter, cut one of the fats.

If you cheat, cheat with proteins or veggies. Also, if you eat this way, you don't need vitamins either.

Hope this helps!

I am looking for any and all components to the Weight Watchers Selection Plan from the 80s and early 90s. I would be more than happy to pay for them. Thanks.

By Cj

Answers

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the food tracker for the Weight Watchers Selection Plan?
Thanks

I have 3 WW books: Dining out companion, 3 month journal, complete food companion, meals 101 and a points clicker all in a blue bag but dated 2006. If interested, please contact me.
Gem

I have at least 1, maybe more, WWCookbook I could send.

Does anybody have the recipe for pumpkin bread from the 80s? I remember it had a can of pumpkin and Quaker oats.

By Susan F. from Fayetteville, NC

I am looking for a copy of the Weight Watchers diet plan from 1976-1980 that era. I was on it and lost 80 lbs. and would like to do it again.

By M.L.

Answers

You know, I havent beem on this site for years but last time I was they were asking for that same plan. Back then when I was on it, it was called Quick Start. WW changes the name and the program every year but that one in particular worked for me and was so easy. I didnt have to have the fancy dancy calculator or anything. I wish I hadnt given all my program related things away but I did.. so long ago. Maby one day somone will have it and post it... I hope.

Does anyone have a copy of the Weight Watchers Plan from 1985?

By Irmy from Houston, TX

Answers

I would like to have this also.

Can anyone out there help me find a copy of the old 1980s Weight Watchers Exchange plan? I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day, etc. In other words just about everything concerning this plan. Thank you very much.

By victoriapenny

Answers

I have a copy of the Weight Watchers Quick Start Plus Cookbook from 1986. The daily exchanges for a women are as follows:
Week l
3 fruits, at least 2 veggies, 2 milk, 2 bread, 3 fat, and 6 proteins.
Week 2
add 1 protein
Weeks 3 and 4
add 1 bread and 2 proteins

You should always eat breakfast. Don;'t eat more than 4 eggs in a week.
Eat a minimum of 3 fish meals. eat 3 to 4 oz. liver in Weeks 12 and 3. Week 4, eat 4 t0 6 oz. liver. I hope this helps. This book is full of info.

Weight Watchers Quick Start program in the 80s came with pamphlets. Does anyone have the yellow week one pamphlet that had a skinned down version of the whole plan? It had a lot of yogurt in it. It was just the 1st week with 3 or 4 choices for each meal with recipes. For example, breakfast had: 1/2 bagel with cream cheese and jelly, one lunch was an English muffin with tomato and cheese. I would really luv a copy it worked so well and I lost it.

By chimpychoo from Chester county, PA

Answers

Hi I'm liking for it also. Is your the yellow week on with lots of yogurt. If you have gotten it I would love a copy lost mine too. Lisasterritt AT Gmail.com

There was a recipe for liver. You blended the liver, added veggies to it and cooked it in the skillet. I hate liver and you could not tell it was liver by the time you got done. It was very good. Does anyone have it?

By Brenda H