Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plans

Category Dieting
Knowing the amount of different foods you can substitute to maintain your diet plan is important. This guide is about weight watcher's diet exchange plans.

A number of posters are asking for information on the old Weight Watchers Exchange Program from the 80s. eBay has listings for the Weight Watchers Quick Start PLUS Program Cookbook. Same as mine from 1986, it lists all the information from the Exchange Program. Just type in Weight Watchers Quick Start under cookbooks.

Does anyone have the old Weight Watchers exchange plan info? I think you could eat like 5 starches, 3 proteins, 2 fruits, 2 dairy, etc. a day. I lost 50 pounds on that plan and I'd like to try it again.

By Cheryl O

Answers

Here is the Weight Watchers diet plan from 1972.

http://www.dwlz  o/old1972ww.html

I had great success on the old Weight Watchers plan in 1989, if someone can help me with the food list, the exchanges, and what ever else I would need to get started I would appreciate your help more then you would know? To be honest I'm very scared at this point with the unknown.

I became immobile due to my right knee needing to be replaced. I weighed 329 pounds on July 29, 2007 that saved my life. I'm now at 183, however, I had lost down to 155 pounds. I've had a steady weight gain since about October causing me great concern. I've also had a total left hip replacement with a DePuy device which has been recalled, I have high levels of cobalt and chromium in my system. The specialist I've been seeing doesn't seem to know what to do. He just keeps sending me for test upon test, I guess trying to figure out what to do.

I know in the mean time I have felt sick since late June 2010, I'm not sure if it's the stress causing me to gain weight or the fact that I'm becoming immobile again due to the amount of pain I'm in and feeling sick all the time.

I had my right knee replaced, also with a DePuy device, I've continued to be in great pain with this device, and fluid that ponds just below my knee, with pain that shoots down into my shin bone. I keep being told that the x-rays show I'm fine however I know I'm not fine it hurts all the time. I doing my best to live with all of this pain and suffering I'm in.

I feel if I can find the Weight Watchers plan that helped me lose 50 pounds after the birth of my son in 1985 I could lose these extra pounds and keep them off.

Thank you for your time.

By Curious Lady 1961

Answers

I do not have the data from that far back and I don't think the WW frozen foods have those exchanges on them any more. WW has a new Points Plus system, but I cannot find any site that tells you how to calculate the number of points you are allowed per day. But I can tell you how to calculate based on the older points system (it was just replaced recently--I think so WW could say it is a "new" program).
The older Points system gave you an allowed daily points you could eat. Daily allowed points calculation was:
female 2, male 8, nursing mom 12;
age 17-26= 4, 27-37 =3, 38-47 =2, 48-58 =1, over 58 =0; under 5'1" = 0, 5'1"-5'10"=1, over 5'10"=2;
the 1st 2 digits of your weight, for example if you weigh 183 it is 18;

activity--most of the day sitting =0, occasionally sitting but mostly standing = 2, walking most of the time = 4, hard physical work =6.
Add up your points and the total = daily points allowed, plus you get 35 "free" points per week--can be used all at once or spaced out during the week. There is no carry over of daily points from one day to the other nor is there carry over for "free" weekly points.
Now you need to know how many points are in your food so you can keep track of points eaten. Food point calculations are:
calories divided by 50 = A;
fat grams divided by 12 = B,
fiber grams divided by 5 = Y.
Then A + B = X.
X minus Y = point value of that food item.
You'll need to do some math, but it works.
I've currently lost 25 pounds in 2 months by eating at least 4 servings of raw fruits (no bananas), 6 sevings of raw or steamed vegetables (no potatoes, only low fat salad dressing -1 Tblsp.), no starches, no nuts, no sugars (can use splenda or stevia), no fried foods, only 2 servings of boiled, steamed, broiled, grilled protein a day (about 4 ounces each) not fried, and lots of water. This basically gives you a low fat, low calorie diet but you feel full.

I believe the diabetic exchange diet is very similar, so you might want to look that up.
2 fruits
3+ vegies
2 dairy
3 fats
6 breads/grains
6 proteins
8 glasses of water

Do consider a second opinion on the recalled hip replacement. Two people I know who had these hip replacements felt very sick. They felt it was the heavy metals in their systems. Both of them had the replacements replaced. Afterwards they did not feel ill all the time. You can find some folks with 1st hand experience on the net. sharing their experiences. Good luck to you and congratulations on the incredible weight loss. Dont wait on the 2nd opinion.

I too need the food log for the 80's Weight Watcher exchange program. I made one myself, but it is not as good as what they had. I am still searching here.

I called and canceled my Nutrisystem program this a.m. The food gave me severe stomach cramps and other issues. I just can't tolerate the sugar alcohols and fat free chemicals. I am going back to real food. I need more protein and less carbs than current WW programs; they just don't work. This one does.

By parmstro from TX

Answers

Have you tried the brand new Weight Watchers Points Plus program? It is supposed to be much more realistic. I have a friend who currently loves it. I've been a member of WW before and lost about 50 pounds but I'm trying to do it on my own right now. I'll probably rejoin if I don't manage to start some downward progress.

Good luck!

Have you thought about joining sparkpeople.com It is free and it is a whole community of support as they teach you to eat healthy. I have lost 83 pounds so far on this program.
Bobbieed

I have to check the dates, but I think I have some blank ones. If you give me your address, I could send it.

Does anyone have a copy of the Weight Watchers diet from the 1970s that they could share? or know how to find one online? I've lost mine and that diet seemed to work for me back then and the new versions don't now. The new one is too lenient for me. I need the structure of the old diet. Thanks.

By Janet from AR

Answers

I googled 1970s weight watchers plan and got a page of instructions. It was called THE WAY IT WAS, perhaps you can find it

My Mother and I went together back in the late 60's.
The one thing I remember best was the rules for
breaking a plateau...to get the ball rolling again
after having lost an initial amount of weight then
leveling off.

We ate 2 oz of water-packed tuna at breakfast
along with one-half grapefruit, black coffee, and 1
slice of whole wheat bread. At lunch, we ate a big
green tossed salad with 1 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp
apple cider vinegar, 4 oz V-8 or tomato juice and
tea (hot or cold) without sugar. Sugar substitute is
OK.
In the evening, (before 6pm), we were allowed to
have the other 3-4 oz of that can of water-packed
tuna fish, 1 slice of whole wheat bread, the other half of grapefruit, a green salad with 1 tsp olive oil and 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, hot tea or coffee.

At bedtime, we could have an 8 oz glass of
low fat skimmed milk or buttermilk. We stayed on that for an entire week, and it would always break that plateau... Losing about 3 pounds for the week, and then any time we felt like we were not losing, we'd go right back on that "crash" diet. It always
worked, but we always gained back what we'd lost in
the long run. I finally decided to just be happy the
way I was...and I've made it to 75...so far. :-) I'm
not done just yet either. Fairly healthy and very
sassy according to my husband.

Hope this is what you're looking for.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I think that if you had good luck then, it was about your age...it works better when you are younger because you are more active. As we age, we need a lot more exercise to lose pounds effectively. I would love to lose even 10 pounds but find that the older I get the more difficult it is. I agree with Pookarina, I am getting to the point where it is "take me or leave me."

I'm looking for the Weight Watcher plan. I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day for a male 18 yrs. old.

By Dixie from Millstadt, IL

Answers

I just found my old booklets. Please let me know if you need any additional information. I have attached a PDF of the tracker.

Does anyone have the old point system Book. I have recently put on a few after having a hysterectomy, rather than wait, I decided to go back to WW. I really do not like this new system ( points Plus) I have everything but the book on food points. I really need it :( That program work sooo well for me.

Does some type of conversion chart exist for the Weight Watchers Points? I prefer the exchange plan and Weight Watchers products in the store always print the points information on the box instead. So I end up searching for other products that still use the exchange system.

In others words, if a dinner or WW frozen treat has 6 points, I need to be able to decipher how that translates into the exchanges. I know that I can read the label for carbs, fat, protein, etc., but if there is a conversion chart it would be quick and easy.

By Satie from SC

Answers

I don't think there is a direct conversion, because the points are based on calories and fat and fiber. I believe the exchanges were largely calorie based by food group. Look at foods you know the exchages for, and try to "guestimate". Look at how many total calories are in the food and consider what food groups are in there. Try to divide up the calories by food group, based on how many calories you are allowed for an exchange in each particular food group.

There are many exchange charts available for diabetics, if you find that the calorie counts are similar for the food groups, you will probably find a number of more extensive charts at various sites devoted to diabletics.

I think if you can find how many ounces are in each food group you will then know how many exchanges they are. I.E. if a meal has 3 oz. of meat that wiould equal 3 protein. Same for veggies and starches. I wish they would also go back to the old way and not use the point system. It never worked for me. I think some of the products have the diabetic exchanges inlcuded and you could just use that information.

I can't seem to follow the point system either. I lost 142 lbs on the exchange system. I think it was more structured, and that is what I need now. I wish Weight Watchers would give people a choice.

I am not sure if this will help but you might just check out http://www.diabeticconnect.com
It has recipes and guidelines and all kinds of recipes for diabetics and healthy eating and weight loss info.

I am looking for an old chart to check off my daily food exchanges. If some one knows where I can get a copy I would appreciate it. I took weight off the old way, but the points system does not work for me. Also where can I get a book with the amounts of items per serving?

Weight Watchers used to do the exchange system, but has since changed to the point system. Does anyone know where I can find a conversion tool or chart so I can find out the exchange for the points posted on different products? Thank you!

By Katie K

Answers

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. For the new point system, started in January 2011, you really need their materials. You can usually find them on the popular online auction site; (or you can join the program online and never need to go to a meeting). Up until January, there was a mathematical formula you could use that looked at calories/fat/fiber to assign points; so once you figured how many points per day you should allow, it was easy. Now they take into account other values in the foods; and most fruits and veggies have zero points.

If you google "weight watchers points" and similar phrases, you can probably find all the information you need on the previous points program. I am not sure you will find as much for the newer "points plus" program. The older one is still a great program, so you may be happy with that!

I am looking for the Weight Watchers 3-3-3 diet plan. I used it many years ago but I lost it when I moved. The Weight Watchers meetings are not doing it for me. All they talk about is the new points program and it doesn't help at all.

By Cyndy from Chatham, Ontario

Answers

Dinner
Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water
1/2 Grapefruit or Juice
1 slice toast with 1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter 1/2 Cup of Tuna
1 slice toast
Black coffee or tea (Sweet & Low or Equal) or water 3 oz. any lean meat
1 cup green beans
1 cup carrots
1 cup vanilla ice cream
1 medium apple

Day 2
Breakfast Lunch Dinner
1 egg (any style)
1 slice toast
1 banana
1 cup cottage cheese or tuna
5 saltine crackers

2 beef franks or hot dogs
1/2 cup carrots
1 banana
1 cup broccoli or cabbage
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

Day 3
Breakfast Lunch Dinner
5 regular saltine crackers
1 oz.(slice) cheddar cheese
1 apple 1 hard boiled egg
1 slice toast

1 cup tuna
1 cup carrots
1 cup cauliflower
1 cup melon
1/2 cup regular vanilla ice cream

Hope this is what you want, good luck.

Hy Cyndy; It sounds like you are having trouble understanding the weight watchers points system. Why don't you tell your leader that you are having trouble. I joined Weight Watchers last May and lost 20 lbs by the end of September. I think you will find the points system easy to follow once you get into it. Most vegetables are free and fruit is very low in points value so there are lots of low points foods to choose from. Once you get into the habit of keeping track of what you eat, it gets easier. Good Luck! Joan from Chesterfied, MI

I am looking for a complete diet from the 1990s. I did the diet in 1992 with great results, but cannot find my plan. Can anyone help?

By debasf from London, England

I have been looking for the 1980s Weight Watchers exchanges booklet. Can you tell me where I can find this? Thank you.

Irene

Can anyone out there help me find a copy of the old 1980s Weight Watchers Exchange plan? I need information on food exchanges, amount of a serving, the breakdown of allowed exchanges per day, etc. In other words just about everything concerning this plan. Thank you very much.

By victoriapenny

Answers

I have a copy of the Weight Watchers Quick Start Plus Cookbook from 1986. The daily exchanges for a women are as follows:
Week l
3 fruits, at least 2 veggies, 2 milk, 2 bread, 3 fat, and 6 proteins.
Week 2
add 1 protein
Weeks 3 and 4
add 1 bread and 2 proteins

You should always eat breakfast. Don;'t eat more than 4 eggs in a week.
Eat a minimum of 3 fish meals. eat 3 to 4 oz. liver in Weeks 12 and 3. Week 4, eat 4 t0 6 oz. liver. I hope this helps. This book is full of info.

I am looking for the Weight Watchers exchange booklets from the 70'-80's. Any ideas?

By Richard

Does anyone know where I can find the Weight Watchers Quick Control Options weekly menu plan? I have a couple, but would like to get the full set. Thanks.

By Lynda

I am looking for the WW program tracker that had food exchanges with level 1, 2, and 3. It was around 1990-91. Would anyone have a copy of the tracker and program breakdown?

I've seen a couple books on eBay, but can't remember if it was Quick Success or Quick Start.

I don't care for the newer points system.

By TLS

I need the 1990's Weight Watchers Exchange program.

By Melanie from Albany, GA

I walked into a second hand store and, among the books, I found a plastic folder with the 1990 Weight Watchers diet in it. It is a 3-level diet plan, complete with food lists, an unused diary, etc.

I have never been on Weight Watchers before, so my question is, on each level, you are allowed a certain amount of "floaters" per week, but I read through all the literature in the folder and I can't find an explanation of what a floater is.

I searched the web and ThriftyFun and can't find an explanation, although I did learn that Weight Watchers hasn't used floaters in their diet plans in quite a while. If anyone has been on the 1990 diet and knows what a floater is, I would appreciate it if you would share that information with me.

By Fortunately

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Floaters are bread, protein, and fruit. (08/20/2010)

By garnetgirl9

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Thank you, garnetgirl9. (08/20/2010)

By Fortunately

I am looking for the journal from the 1995-96 Weight Watchers Freedom Exchange plan. I have the materials after all this time, but I really need to journal everything and the points journal just doesn't cut it with me.

By julee from Medina, OH

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

If you remember anything about how the original journal was set up, or if the information is in your existing materials, you could always recreate your own exchange journal. With a little ingenuity and persistence, you can create your own solution. Best to you! (10/11/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Does someone have a copy of the Weight Watchers Exchange Diet Plan?

By zbarbathome from Pleasureville, KY

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Here is the plan from 1972: http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/old1972ww.html (05/18/2009)

By Anonymous

Does anyone have the Weight Watcher's exchange diet plan? I'm trying to remember it. What is the calorie value for veggies? I'm thinking the exchanges are: 8 8oz. of water daily, 2 to 3 milk, 2 to 4 fruit, 3 to 5 veggies, 3 protein, 6 to 11 bread/grain, 3 fat, and some "optional" foods. I can't remember how the "optional" worked. This was a great plan for me, well balanced and I didn't feel deprived, plus I had lost 42 lbs. Help please! Thanks a bunch, you great people!

Sandy from Stoughton, WI

Answers:

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

If you can't get that information on WW Sandy, I would try a diabetic exchange program. You can find lots of free information on the web for these types of diet plans.

http://www.diabeteslibrary.org/news/news_item.cfm?NewsID=54 (07/25/2006)

By mef1957

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I had better success with the exchange plan than the Points system and am planning on giving it another whirl, too! I think it is better because the exchange system was automatically balanced for you with less opportunity to eat junk calories. Over the years there were different exchange plans according to your weight...but in 1992 (when I lost 36 lbs) the exchanges were:

You also had the option of choosing an additional 21 selections weekly from the Bread/Protein/Fruit groups as well as 700 "optional" calories weekly. Hope this helps and good luck!
-Karyl (07/30/2006)

By Mssnos

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

There isn't a calorie value per se for veggies. Non starchy veggies are unlimited. Starchy veggies (corn, potatoes) are considered Bread Exchanges. (07/30/2006)

By Mssnos

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Rozeta asked if anyone had the old Weight Watchers book. I found many copies from old to new on Amazon.com - check out the USED prices. You can click on the USED link and see the copies that are available, including where they will be shipped from (what state) and what condition they are in. Often you can find a real deal that is listed as new or like new. What a bargain! Hope this helps.

I've got the old Weight Watchers 1994 big 3-ring binder style book, and am now online, trying to find out what may have changed in the exchange list since then. (10/03/2007)

By Tiggertype

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Here is a website that sells used books and seems to have some of the program books.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=exchange&sortby=2&sts=t&tn=weight+watchers&x=31&y=13

I agree. I had success with the exchange program in the late 80s and 90s, but have had no success with the points program. I have joined many times over the last 10 years and have tried points and core. But neither work as well as exchange did for me. (11/07/2007)

By Suzy

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

After looking for the Weight Watchers old exchange plan info endlessly, I found an exchange system on the TOPS (take off pounds sensibly) website.You can print out a list of all the exchanges and food measurements, etc. on their tools button. I am thrilled to find that it is nearly like the WW old program! Hope this helps. (03/22/2008)

By Joan

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I just got the book and it has the 1980's Food Exchange program plus recipes. The title is, "Weight Watchers Quick Start Program Cookbook with Full Exchange Plan", by Jean Nidetch. The ISBN is 0453010105. You can buy it for as low as 75 cents plus about $4 shipping from Half.com. (04/04/2008)

By DonnaJo

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Thanks for the additional information. I, too, had success with the old WW exchange program and couldn't stick to the newer programs. The book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Nutrition", second edition has an exchange list program which is quite similar to the old WW exchanges, along with daily tracking sheets with bubbles to fill in, which you can photocopy. A good read and very helpful. Can probably be found used for a good price. (04/09/2008)

By CC

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I actually have the booklets from the exchange programs. I agree that this program works a lot better than the points program. The one from about 20 years ago always worked best for me because you get 6 to 8 oz. of protein. I lose faster if I eat more protein and less carbs. Over a 4 week period you increase your daily exchanges and optional calories.

So, here it is:

(04/22/2008)

By lorihanson

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I was diagnosed with diabetes and have an exchange program that the nutritionist gave me. On the Mayo clinic diabetes webpage they have the exchanges. It is similar to the old WW, which I preferred as well. I feel better eating balanced meals. I need the structure and got away with too many bad choices on points. I am losing weight, so I have 5 protein, 5 starch, 3 fruit and fat, 2 milk per day. The extras for me would work out to be the 700 cal and 21 ps per week. (07/31/2008)

By Tricia

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I "get into discussions" with my friends and family all the time about being "politically food correct" and "social engineering". I found the Weight Watchers Quick Success program at a library sale and snapped it up.

I found an old week 1 booklet that explained "floaters". You got 7 in weeks one, 14 in week two and 21 in week 3. Also, if anyone is looking for a "deal a meal" type thing, you can check out the TOPS.org website under TOPS Tools. They have exchange cards and an exchange tracker that will work.

I do go to TOPS since it is A) nonprofit and B) only $2/week in our chapter + a yearly registration fee, and, C) TOPS uses the exchange program and is more of a true "support" group than I found at WW meetings.

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who found "Points" disappointing. I also found the Weight Watchers Quick and Easy Menu cookbook at the same sale. This book has menus for each month out of the year along with what produce is in season. I like the old books because there are no rubber fat-free cheese or fat-free, high-sugar cookies, cakes, etc. No fake food. Anyway, I thought the TOPS info might be helpful. You don't have to be a member to check out their tools. (08/07/2008)

By Kimberly

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Go to www.sewessential.blogspot.com for recipes and info on the old WW Exchange system. If you email me from the blog, I'll send you copies of what I have. Also, if you visit www.tops.org and sign up (not join) they let you use their tools. It is very similar to the old WW exchange system. (10/07/2008)

By ireneh124

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I was so happy to find this site. Thrilled to know I am not the only one who still loves the exchange plan. If you are working on your weight and you like Lean Cuisine, you can find the exchanges for each of their frozen dinners on their website. Of course they are not listed on the boxes anymore. Find the place on the site that says "nutritional information" then go to the prompt that says exchanges.

I cannot believe WW does not provide this information for their frozen foods. What are they thinking? (11/06/2008)

By Sharlee

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

I have it.

I hope this will help you and yes it did work. I lost 80lb. (01/29/2009)

By donnakayk

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

There is a book entitled Weight Watchers Quick Start Program Cookbook, Including the Full Exchange Plan - I believe that is the plan you are referring to. I purchased mine on Amazon a few years back for about $2. They should have a copy in your local library.

Good luck! This is the best plan around, WW wasn't thinking when they switched to points. Who has time to count points? (02/12/2009)

By Skinny Minnie

Weight Watchers Diet Exchange Plan

Where have you been the past 15 years? Oh yeah, we all needed easy access to the internet. Anyway, has anyone found a link to a PDF of the Weekly Food Diary? 20+ years ago I lost 20 pounds, kept it off through my 3 pregnancies and then it ballooned up after #3. I got braces which really shed the pounds in 2 months, but once I could eat again the pounds came back. Now, each year it's 10 more and I need to lose 40-50 lbs.

WW Exchange Program is the only way to go. Instead of paying for a program, I hired Marco, my trainer today. He will keep me on track and honest, but am so glad there is this support group out there for junkies of the old WW Exchange plan.

I also found a website helpful to an updated exchange program. http://www.healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/foodplans.html
I will modify some of the exchanges to reflect the WW plan. Thanks. (04/20/2009)

By msmarie22