Cleaning the Outside of an Old Wood Veneer Steamer Trunk

How can you clean a steamer trunk?

By Janice from Carlisle, IN

July 16, 2010 Flag

How do I clean the outside of a very old steamer trunk? There is no mold, the inside is in perfect condition. I'd like to use it as a coffee table. It seems to have a wood veneer on the outside. Could I use bowling ally paste and give it a good buffing?

By Maryanne from Boston, MA

I would not use this kind of wax, it is too heavy and may be hard to work with on a thin veneer. However, you could use "tung oil" and/or lemon oil. I'd start with a cloth dampened with lemon oil then take clean soft cloth dampened with "tung oil" keep working it into the veneer until it begins to have a soft glow. I think this will give you a very nice finish. Tung oil can be used on any wood surface. Lemon oil will clean and make any wood surface ready to polish. (05/16/2010)

By alb2784

Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJuly 16, 2010
Wood Veneer Drawer
Refinishing Wood Veneer Furniture
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk