Cleaning the Outside of an Old Wood Veneer Steamer Trunk

How can you clean a steamer trunk?

By Janice from Carlisle, IN

Answers

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

July 16, 2010 Flag

How do I clean the outside of a very old steamer trunk? There is no mold, the inside is in perfect condition. I'd like to use it as a coffee table. It seems to have a wood veneer on the outside. Could I use bowling ally paste and give it a good buffing?

By Maryanne from Boston, MA

Answers:

I would not use this kind of wax, it is too heavy and may be hard to work with on a thin veneer. However, you could use "tung oil" and/or lemon oil. I'd start with a cloth dampened with lemon oil then take clean soft cloth dampened with "tung oil" keep working it into the veneer until it begins to have a soft glow. I think this will give you a very nice finish. Tung oil can be used on any wood surface. Lemon oil will clean and make any wood surface ready to polish. (05/16/2010)

By alb2784

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Old Steamer Trunk
Cleaning and Restoring an Old Trunk
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureJuly 16, 2010
Wood Veneer Drawer
Refinishing Wood Veneer Furniture
old trunk
Recovering a Trunk With Vinyl
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 12:53:46 PM on 10.0.2.225 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.