Draining a Can of Tuna

What is the best way to drain a small can of tuna?

Onesummer

Hmm... Interesting question. Here are some options

1. My mom would drain the tuna water/oil into an organics catcher for the garden or flowers around the house

2. I have just kept the water for use in tuna salad or whatever I'm making.

3. Down the drain or in the trash

I really can't think of other ways to drain tuna. Whatever suits you is what is best.

http://frugalforlife.com

Hi, all I do is open the can, then turn it upsde down over the sink. I have a washing up bowl that covers most of my sink so just balance it between that and the side of the sink to drain. Alternatively, I get a colander and a bowl, again turn the can upside but on an angle, and leave it to drain.

I just open my can and lay it upside down, with the lid still covering the tuna, on the drainboard of the sink. By the time I get the rest of the stuff ready for whatever I am making the tuna has drained sufficiently to be ready for my recipe. Of course I would not do this with oil packed tuna, then I would invert the can, lid intact, and press the lid into the tuna while holding it over a disposal recepticle.

Open the can

Leave the top on then drain buy pressing the tuna with the can top until all liquid is removed.

Then wash your hands so you don't smell like a tuna boat captain.

I have found that for the least amount of cleanup afterward, just open the can with a regular can opener leaving the top in the can on top of the tuna. I only buy water packed so just hold the can over the sink with the lid side away from you and squeeze the lid down as tight as you can while pouring the water down the drain. When you remove the lid the tuna is quite dry and ready to use.

Not too much to it, but it's a tad messy. I haven't found an alternative to opening it and using the lid to press out the liquid into the sink or trash. I use a fork or knife to pry open the lid and flake it out with a fork. I wash my hands after--nice and clean. If the smell of tuna bothers you and your soap doesn't remove it, use a lemon to rub your hands when you wash.

They make some little sieves you can place over the cans and drain the contents. Someone told me that the one with offset handles located on the sides are better than the small rounds you fit directly on the can. Less messy.

I'd suggest you go to a store that sells kitchen supplies (like Bed, Bath & Beyond) and see what they have to offer.

I bought mine at a store that is located in an outlet mall which also sells Corning Ware. This picture is of the underside and it shows the rings which attach securely to the different sizes of cans. There are no identifying marks, so I can't tell you the brand. Probably cost $2.99. Wish I'd purchased more. I use it often. Dishwasher top rack safe.

I can order a can drainer for you. Email me at iamchef dot leighann at yahoo dot com and I'll fill you in! I can send you a picture of what I'm talking about. You'll love it! I know I do, as we use a lot of tuna around here.

Huh, and here I thought I was doing the normal thing, and everyone does it differently. I use the can opener to make a slit in each side of the top, as if starting to open the lid, then I perch the thing on its side on the edge of the sink and let it drip a few minutes while I get the rest of the ingredients ready. If I'm saving the liquid (good soup starter) then I perch the can in the top of a drinking glass.

Open can; drain into dish.

If you have a cat, he/she will already be there at the

sound of the magic can opener begging for the juice.

This applies only to tuna in water.

My little doggy's love the left over water from tuna.

Cut open can normally, take lid, and mash down the tuna, draining it into a bowl, squeezing the water out. (push down slowly to mash out water, if you do it too fast it "squirts"), then I poor the tuna water into the doggy bowl. Sometimes over dry food. Good for cats too. Then just take the cut lid off and fork out the nice dry tuna into your preparation bowl. Everyone is happy.

Why spend money on some little strainer (then wash and store it later) when all you have to do is open the top and press down to strain? If you keep your fingers away from the juice, no smelly tuna hands. I don't have animals, but I bet they do love the juice, but I would think you would have to be careful because of the salt that's in the brine. It's packed in.

My can opener lifts the top off instead of cutting it out, so I can't use the lid to drain the tuna. I have one of the sieve-things but can't ever find it when I need it! But I DO have a drinking glass that has a bottom that is the same size as the can opening. I put the glass in the can, tip the can sideways over the sink & push the glass down until it drains.

Open can of tuna.
Draining Canned Tuna
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 3, 2007
tuna macaroni salad
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipes
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
Making a Tuna Can Trick-Or-Treat Bucket
🎉
🎄