Is Tuna Safe for Cats?

Some kitties love the taste of tuna, but you may have concerns about its safety. This is a guide about "is tuna safe for cats?"

December 6, 2006 Flag

Is canned Tuna dangerous to feed to cats? I have heard that it can cause Kidney Damage!

Hallie from Franklin, TN

Our veterinarian, connected with the highly-respected U. of Penn. veterinary school and hospital, says there is an enzyme (thiaminase) in tuna that depletes vitamine B1 from the food, and can therefore cause seizures in cats. Tuna provided for human consumption should NEVER be given to cats. Only tuna specially processed for cats is safe. It is subjected to high temperatures that destroy the enzyme. See below what the SPCA says about feeding raw fish to pets:

Thank you for all your wonderful feedback, fellow cat lovers. The answer seems to fall within the concept of balance - cuz cats can become REAL tuna junkies! I have found this food called Tiki Cat Food that has a kind of tuna blend - w/ rice, ahi, crab, etc. Does anyone know about this brand?

I would greatly appreciate comments from anyone who will give me a moment.

I think it is all about moderation. A bit of canned tuna occasionally has not had any negative effects on my three healthy cats. I feed them a diet of dry cat food daily and maybe once a week or so I'll split a small can of tuna between the three of them. They love it and my vet says as long as their daily diet is cat food they will get a balanced diet.

I used to eat tuna, several times a week. I had a beautiful Siamese cat who begged every time I opened a can. Several years later she developed cancer and I had to have her put to sleep. They tell pregnant women to limit tuna. I often wonder if I had not given her tuna would this have happened? Now I feed my cats a good quality cat food which is certified organic, and does not contain any seafood.

Pets CatsMay 22, 2013
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
tuna macaroni salad
Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipes
Tuna Wrap
Tuna Wrap Recipes
Tuna Tetrazzini
Tuna Tetrazzini Recipes