Is Tuna Safe for Cats?

Category Cats
cat eating tuna
Some kitties love the taste of tuna, but you may have concerns about its safety. This is a guide about "is tuna safe for cats?"

Is canned Tuna dangerous to feed to cats? I have heard that it can cause Kidney Damage!

Hallie from Franklin, TN

A little won't hurt, but it isn't a complete nutritious diet for a cat.

Good question! I found a stray cat which was near death due to starvation. For a few days I fed it regular cat food & the cat still seemed ready to die. I went out & bought people TUNA & within hours the cat was walking around! I didn't keep her on that diet; soon I put her on a regular cat food diet. One yr. later she's a healthy, HUGE, cat. Cats DO need the vitamins from their own food. Maybe feed people TUNA as a treat? All my cats go nuts over it!

If it is regular tuna, yes, it will harm your cat. It will deplete their supply of taurine. If you want to feed a cat tuna, get cat food tuna, it is supplemented with taurine.

Well, ladies, I've been alternating with Chef's Blend

and Tuna for about 14 years now and our kitty is fat and happy, with NO problems, ever. I buy the cheapest, and in water, since the one in oil is Soybean oil, and NOT tasty! My cat seems to prefer the tuna JUICE made from the water that drains off the tuna, so I share it with her frequently, without reservation. She gets all the nutrients she's needed

as a Persian, from the Chef's Blend dry cereal once a day, the tuna or tuna juice at night. Hope you can

believe me. Persians are particularly finicky and fragile, but this little miss is a darling with VERY healthy hair, eyes, muscles, etc. God bless you and

Merry Messiahmas. : )