Build Your Own Sofa

How can I make a sofa?

By Lorton M. from NY

Best Answer

Go to the local library and get some upholstery books that show a sofa stripped down to the wood. Study the shapes you like and figure out how to make a simplified version. Two by fours, some slabs of plywood sheeting, at least 1/2 inch thick, use good long wood screws so you can undo your work if you want to modify or move it.

Legs can be bought premade, stained and attached.

Then foam for padding and foam cushions for cushions or one long piece, staple fabric as appropriate. Figure out all the things ahead of time and have a helper if necessary.

I made two futons with my daughter when I couldn't afford new mattresses so I am a great believer in

do it yourself. My ex made bunk beds out of 4x4's which he carved a little and foam mattresses. If you want something that looks ordinary, I'd just look for a good used one, but you could do a nice job on something a little unique.

OR.....look on craigslist for a free or inexpensive one, rip it down to the wooden frame so you don't have to deal with that and build it back up.

I guess I would do some careful comparison priceing of the materials needed to build a sofa and then compare those costs with the price of a ready built sofa. I do a lot of sewing and have found a lot of the time that an item can be bought at a lower price than making it.

Make Your Own FurnitureOctober 29, 2009
Sofa Bed
Repairing a Sofa Bed Frame
Sofa Bed
Sofa Bed is Stuck Open
Sofa Organizer
Making a Sofa Organizer
Sofa Bed
Finding Parts to Repair a Sofa Bed
🎉
🎄