Life After Acrylic Nails

I just removed my salon acrylic nails and my nails are thin and weak and rough. Any suggestions to help repair them?

By Rose from Indianapolis, IN

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I had acrylic nails about 25 years ago, and left them on until they started popping off, then soaked the rest off in nail polish remover. I didn't really notice any weakness in my nails, but they didn't look nice until after they had grown out.

Get some wraps. Wraps will grow out nicely and allow your natural nails to look nice while growing them out. Wraps do not need to be maintained. Once they grow all the way out and your natural nails are now strong, you're done. Wraps will help brittle thin nails to not break off while you are growing new nails, btw.

Rub warm olive oil into your nails and the nail bed at least once a day. You will be pleasantly surprised at how fast they grow out and how healthy!

Nailtiques. It's a nail strengthener like no other! I have gone back and forth putting acrylics on and taking them off for years and have used nailtiques formula 2 nail strengthener every time. Your nails will be perfect in a week. :)

I was a nurse so I had to keep my nails short. My exhusband was a complete fingernail fiend. That pig would stare at any women even if she was fat, old or ugly. If she had beautiful long nails he would go gaga. I divorced him and my nails have ridges. I thought acrylic nails would help our marriage. I do not have a marriage or pretty nails anymore.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

January 16, 2011 Flag

I have badly damaged my nails after using acrylic nails for years. This last year I have been doing it myself and the result is "terrible". My right hand looks really bad. I feed so ashamed. I know I can't hide it by putting on more artificial nails.

Is there any way I can hide the mess? What is the best treatment for me? I do not have any diseases in or on my nails. I have recently been putting on olive oil every night. Please help me. Thank you so much.

Regards.

By Jean from Margate, South Africa

Answers:

Life After Acrylic Nails

The best thing in my opinion is to let them grow out without chemicals. Air and care is my motto. I did the same thing and found that using a good hand and nail lotion or oil daily and wearing rubber gloves every time I had my hand in water with chemicals, helped. They are starved for oxygen and putting any polish or artificial covering will smother them again. It will take months to see results so be patient, after all it took months to get them into the condition they are in right? (03/12/2010)

By latrtatr

Life After Acrylic Nails

Castor oil is a very inexpensive and very healing oil. It also has pain-relieving properties. I have never used acrylic nails, but I'm sure that Castor oil would help. I'm sure an internet search would show this is true. I would rub Castor oil all over my hands and especially into the nail areas, cover them with old socks, go to bed for the night, and in the morning wash my hands with mild soap. You will find that your hands will be very soft, and that your nails will improve quickly. I was able to buy a huge bottle of Castor oil for around $5. (03/12/2010)

By marysescapades

Life After Acrylic Nails

I feel for you. I had them done once for my daughter's wedding, then let them grow out, filing them down as I went along. It took months till they were back in shape. That's something I will never do again. You just have to be patient and keep them short. It will give them a chance to recuperate. (03/12/2010)

By cett

Life After Acrylic Nails

Nails are a dead appendage so no amount of oils, lotions, or potions are going to repair them, but at least you can safely hide some of the damage until they've grown out.

It will take between four to six months for all the damaged portion of your nails currently on the nail bed to grow completely out, but in the meantime, there are special 'filler' nail polish base coats that will help hide the damage and they are safe for your nails because they're a polish.

I can't think of any names or brands off hand, but you will definitely find them at any major pharmacy and maybe even your local grocery store. And as Cett said, keep them short until damage has grown out. (03/12/2010)

By Deeli

Life After Acrylic Nails

I don't know if this is available in your country, but here in the States they sell a flexible 'wrap' that's in a roll. You wrap it around the part of your body that you want covered and it sticks to itself. Maybe you can find that and cover at least part of your nails. One other alternative is to buy some cotton gloves (like the ones you wear overnight) and wear them. Good luck! (03/12/2010)

By kitkatk100

Life After Acrylic Nails

There is a nail strengthener that you can purchase by O.P.I. called " Nail Envy ", it is clear. You can put on as many coats as you want as it soaks into the nail and helps them grow stronger and quicker. I use this every time I get my acrylics removed, the lady at the salon actually recommended it.

It costs around $7 U.S. and it lasts you forever. Another tip is rather than removing your nails by peeling the acrylics off soak some cotton balls into acetone and then put them on your nails and wrap with aluminum foil and leave them on for about an hour. When you take the foil and cotton balls off your nails you should be able to just scrape off the acrylic. (03/15/2010)

By abrupt_silence

March 8, 2010 Flag

What can I use to repair my nails after removing gel nails? I have marks on them where they would buff to fill in.

By PLAYDOUGH from Cana, VA

Answers:

Life After Acrylic Nails

Try Nail Tek, I teach Nail Technology at our Community College. I always recommend Nail Tek. I am pretty
sure Sally's carries it. You may choose from different types of NT, just opt for the one that strengthens. I believe it is Nail Tek II. I have used if for years. It is also good for people who have ridges due to age. It helps fill mine in without having to buff off layers and damage my nails. Good luck and God bless you. (10/08/2009)

By Abbygirl

October 5, 2009 Flag

I'm letting my nails grow out from gel wraps and Acrylic nails. I've been cutting them short, but now that they are half "my nail" and half what's left of the Gel nail, I can see how soft and weak they are. Should I remove the remaining Gel part?

July 31, 2009 Flag

After some 20 years of acrylic nails, I have decided to wear a more natural look and have removed my nails. Yikes. Scary.

Red Acrylic Nails
Removing Acrylic Nails
Health & Beauty Beauty Body HandsJanuary 16, 2011
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
acrylic paint
Painting With Acrylic Paint on Plastic
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 3:51:27 AM on 10.0.0.41 in 717 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.