Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

My two year old decided she wanted to color all over the kitchen floor with blue permanent marker. We have tried everything: Comet, bleach, Magic Eraser, finger nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, bug spray "OFF", hairspray, and peroxide. Nothing is working. Anyone got any other ideas?

By Kristy from Slidell, LA

Did you try the hand gel yet? You might also try "goof off". Good luck!

I have used Shaklee's Liquid At Ease to get permanent marker off floors and counter tops. It works really well. It is expensive, but a bottle lasts a long time.

WD40? It is supposed to be good for all sorts of things. Only try a small spot at first though, as it is very smelly, and also a lubricant, so it will make the floor slippery. I haven't tried it, but it was all I could think of. Permanent marks are called "permanent" for a reason, aren't they!

I used to sell flooring. The best thing to do is call the manufacturer. If they cannot tell you then it might be under warranty (obviously crayon wouldn't) and if you use other things to get stains out it may void the warranty. You could also patch the space if you have some left over vinyl. Good luck.

My three year old son had the exact same artistic juices flowing your daughter had, only mine used black permanent marker on very light beige flooring. Our problem was we didn't have a chance to try to clean it up right away so it was really set in! First, we used a steam mop--no good. Then we used a Magic Eraser (which worked beautifully on the crayon and permanent marker he decided to use on my wood surfaces!), no good. then I tried something called "Everything and the Kitchen Sink" which is all natural and not abrasive. Also, no good. Then I went to this website and another website where I found the most impossibly easy solution to the problem, and it worked! Whitening toothpaste!! We used Crest Whitening toothpaste with Scope, a scotch brite sponge (the scratchy side), hot water and a little bit of elbow grease and it came up in no time. I couldn't believe it! And, our kitchen now smells minty fresh to boot! :-)

Thank you!!

Had my three year old mark my vinyl floor this morning with black permanant marker and the only thing that worked leaving no marks behind was: Scrubbing Bubbles Mega Foam for Shower. I was amazed!

Wd40

October 22, 2010 Flag

One of my toddlers got a hold of my permanent sharpie blue marker. I now have a beautiful blue design on my floor. I have tried using nail polish remover, OOPS, Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with no luck. Any ideas?

Janet from VA

Answers:

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Give bug spray a try. You may need to spray it on a couple times. I have used this many times, but would like to hear if it is working for others. (06/20/2005)

By CRMom

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Somewhere on this website I remember reading a tip to use Purell hand sanitizer gel to remove ink marks from a vinyl doll face. It might be worth a try. They sell little bottles of it for a dollar in the check out display at WalMart. (06/20/2005)

By Grandma Margie

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

I just used bug spray on my hardwood floors and it worked on the permanent marker! Thanks for the info, it saved my floor! (07/27/2005)

By Elizabeth

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

I don't even believe it, but that hand sanitizer gel got the bright red marker off the floor. Thank you very much. (08/24/2005)

By Tina

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser spared my daughter's life. We tried everything from Goof Off, nail polish remover, WD-40, etc. and nothing budged it. The Magic Eraser did the trick when she colored with a Sharpie marker on our vinyl floor while we were trying to sell our house. (09/08/2006)

By Tracy

Permanent Marker on a Vinyl Floor

Thank you! Thank you! We just put in new lino and this morning my daughter got dry erase marker on it. I checked out this site and thanks to your advice, I was able to remove it. I used OFF!. Just spray it on and let it sit a few minutes and with a little elbow grease, it comes off! Thanks. (01/16/2008)

By Brenda D

Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsOctober 22, 2010
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl
Blue Jeans
Removing Permanent Marker on Jeans
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄