Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Help With Past Due Rent

How can I get help with past due rent due to a recent job loss. We are facing eviction today. The job loss is due to slow down in work available not personal reasons.

By TIM74868 from Seminole, OK

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kolleen [2]05/01/2009

Dear Tim7, first speak to your landlord let Him/her/them know that the stuff has hit the fan. And that you are going to pay, if you can ask if you can trade work for rent. Then contact you local emergency room ask about a "self rescue manual."
These are often produced by the local hospital or school district. You can obtain help even if you don't have children. But I must say if you do you will be eligible for more help in more places. The big thing is you will most likely have to go to more then one place for help. (If you are active and a member of the LDS church this is the place to go. Your bishop can help out a lot.) As stated before the St. Vincent De Paul Society helps anyone almost everywhere.Hope you find what you need. Peace and love, Laza

By susan winship [4]05/01/2009

Suggested before, but ask your landlord if there are any outdoor /indoor repair or outdoor yard jobs that you can do. You don't want to move, it's expensive. If you can rake leaves or clean out trash it doesn't matter what you used to do or how much you used to make. Maybe if you show him that you'll work, he'll keep you on until things get better. Of course if he's an xyyz and will take advantage of you, smile until you can get out. You'll still have your sanity. I hope this helps. Good luck. Bad luck sometimes happens to good people and all you can do is get through it. I know.

By Nan Corpe [6]05/01/2009

Go to your church or local government welfare office. Most churches are prepared to help their members with financial crisis situations. If you don't have a church, local welfare offices should help. Tell them it's an emergency. Good luck and God Bless!

By vickie guy [38]04/23/2009

Try your community church. They will usually help.

By Joan [13]04/23/2009

Most counties have a welfare office that helps with things like that. Usually a one time thing, depending on the area. Here in South Dakota there are other government sponsored organizations that help with a one time only rent assistance. In the part of SD that I live in there is something called Interlakes Comm. Action that offers some help. They also are the headquarters for Head Start. So if there is a Head Start preschool in your area you could call them and see if they could help.

By MaryKay [3]04/23/2009

Also try St. Vincent DePaul Society.

By Cyinda [214]04/23/2009

Our state (Washington's DSHS) used to offer help with eviction back in the 1990's but no longer. The Salvation Army will offer a LITTLE BIT of help ($100). Look around the internet for local Homeless organizations & call them. This is when it helps to belong to a church as they can sometime help in emergencies. It seems there's no money for emergency help anymore. My daughter was in this situation last month & without family help, she'd be living with me!

If you live in an apartment or have a Landlord offer to work for rent that month cleaning apartments landscaping or painting. I know this sounds desperate, but as a very last idea, if you care actually getting kicked out, you could stand by the freeway with a sign. I know a gal who made $300 in 3 hours. Your sign should say "Lost Job, being Evicted". I live by a military base & vets stand by the freeway exit with a sign & a tiny flag. I always try to help them with a few dollars. Sad but true. These are tough days! Without family help, a lot of us would be homeless or living in our car! I will pray for you.

By Deanj04/23/2009

You could ask for help at your town or city hall. Also your church, salvation army etc may be of help.

By Julie [49]04/23/2009

Not sure about your town but in ours the food bank will help you with 10% of your rent if you can show them proof you are not able to meet it that month due to health or financial reasons.