Collecting Rent from Former Tenant?


March 9, 2012

Collecting Rent MoneyWe rented a room in our home, that we own, to someone who conned us big time. We thought he was a good guy, that would pay his rent. Well, he didn't. He also would not leave. Long story short, he owes us 1,000 dollars in bounced checks. We called the police, there was a trial, that we were not told about, the judge ordered him to pay. He didn't, and now the judge says he doesn't have to pay anything. What do we do now? He's on SSI and the clerk of courts said we would not get any money if we sued him. Any ideas?


By V.Toby from OH


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 969 Posts
March 11, 20120 found this helpful

You can still take him to small claims court, if your state allows it. It's five years of waiting, but if he is ordered to pay, he will have to.

However, since this is all public records, I would put the information on facebook and warn others about him, including future renal folks. It might not get your money back, but it will make him sorry he ever ripped anyone off. Good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts
March 11, 20120 found this helpful

Since you mention that the judge now says he doesn't have to pay then there is nothing you can do to collect because that's his legal and binding judgment. If the judge wouldn't have reversed the original decision you "might" have been able to garnish his disability (that's a big might because there are stringent rules about disability garnishment).


I am with Poor But Proud about announcing the man for the deadbeat he is on social media because there are court records to prove him to be so.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 104 Posts
March 11, 20120 found this helpful

Did you finally get him out? I don't understand how someone can write hot checks and get away with it. I don't understand the judge's reversal of his decision that he doesn't have to pay. What am I missing? I know that sometimes laws are not even enforced. Regardless, I'd do as someone mentioned and I'd spread the word on every social media site I could find. Don't know the size of your town but I'd be telling everyone I met and every where I went. I'd be getting the word out for sure. Good Luck

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 104 Posts
March 11, 20120 found this helpful

This is TXBetty again; if you sue you may not get any money but it will be on his record, not that he would care. I'd do it anyway.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Read More Answers

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceJuly 10, 2014
Fourth of July Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2021-06-24 07:49:00 in 3 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.