Oatmeal Cookie Bars Recipe

About 50 years ago, a girlfriend at school brought oatmeal cookies for lunch made by her Mom. They were a hard, crunchy, bar-like cookie made in a square pan and cut into pieces. I have never found another recipe that comes close and am wondering if anyone else might know how to make these.

Thanks

Maybe you are looking for Scotch Teas. It is a very simple recipe, but they are good, as well as quick.

Scotch Teas

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter or margarine

2 cups quick cooking rolled oats

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

In saucepan combine sugar and butter; cook and stir until the butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in oats, baking powder and salt. Mix well and put into a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool and cut into 24 bars. These will set and become hard as they cool. From the Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies Cook Book. The only problem I remember having with these is that if you leave them in too long, they will really stick in the pan, especially the corners.

I have made oatmeal bars before from misc. recipes, nothing special.

Need to warn you to pack the mixture tightly in the baking pan or the bars will crumble easily when sliced.

I have a recipe somewhere that I used to make often as a Scout for outings--Hudson's Bay Bread or something like that. It was really good--but a newer, more chewable and tasty version of the old seabiscuits. It was a LOT of oatmeal, minimal liquid (though there was a lot of Karo Syrup involved), and you can add chopped almonds or walnuts or raisins and chocolate chips for flavor.

I can't remember the recipe off the top of my head--but I would suggest you Google "Hudson's Bay Bread Recipe" or "Homemade Energy Bars" or something--(that is what they were--healthy energy bars you could make at home. I do remember that it made quite a panful--and they were very filling, e.g. you didn't have to eat much of one before you were full).

Cheers,

PMZ

PS--Try "homemade energy bars" first--It might not have been the same type of bread as Hudson's Bay fare.

Oatmeal Cookie Bar Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies OatmealJuly 11, 2006
bowl of shredded coconut
Making Almond Joy Bars
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Oatmeal Cookies
Low-Fat Oatmeal Cookie Recipes
Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Recipes
🎄