Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Cat Started Peeing and Pooping in Closet

I have an inside/outside female cat who is 8 years old. We have had her since she was 2 weeks old. She has all her shots and is spayed; she has been for over 7 years. She has always been very good about using the litter box or going outside. We actually removed the litter box about 3 years ago with "no" problems.

Now all of sudden we found out she has been peeing and pooping in my daughter's closet. She has been doing it for months now (the feces were rock hard and/or fresh), on clothes, in shoes, wherever. She's never done this before.

Nothing in our habits have changed, no new food, people or problems; my family thrives on routine. The only thing we have noticed is when it's cold we have to push her outside. However, we have lived in the same house for over 2 years. I don't know why or what to do. Help my Moose.

By Aleesha from Fernley, NV

By Lisa [2]02/24/2011

Ditto what Deeli said. :-) I'm glad you're taking her to the vet, and I appreciate the response. Again, I hope everything turns out okay . . .

By Anonymous [848]02/23/2011

Aleesha, you just brought huge tears to my eyes! Tears of relief and tears that you are compassionate and appreciative! I am so very happy you have made arrangements to take Moose to the vet on Monday and that the litter box has been given back to her! You know, please don't beat yourself up that you hadn't thought about the emotional part on her behalf before because you're doing it now! There might be a few bumps in the road until she is back on an even keel. She may slip up for a bit but if you take precautions like the closet odor being removed and the door kept closed for awhile it will be fine.

Even we humans to humans do not always think about the shoe on the other foot for one another now and then but once we do there is always a solution for remedy. All will be much better for her, for you and for your family now! I will say prayers that her physical checkup rates A-1! And I also want to thank you for sharing such a nice response here at ThriftyFun. So many times many of us pour our hearts out never to know the outcome! God Bless you and I do kinda hope you'll let us know how you and your baby fair, Hint-Hint. ;-)

By Aleesha [1]02/23/2011

I have her appointment with the vet scheduled for Monday. Deeli, I never thought of it that way, kinda feel like a meanie. Cat box is back in the house too. Thanks guys.

By Anonymous [848]02/23/2011

Want to add one more thing for perspective. Your cat is currently about 48 years old in people years. When you took her litter box away she had used it for 36 people years.

By Anonymous [848]02/22/2011

Please take her to the vet in case it's an internal problem! Also I am all for the idea of placing the litter box back and please don't push her out the door when she doesn't want to go out. Those two things are most likely the major reason she's poddying in the closet because it upsets her how she's being treated. Remember that animals do not think like humans but they do have feelings so try to put the shoe on the other foot. How would feel if your indoor toilet was taken away that you had used for most of your life and your husband shoved you out the door when you didn't want to go out. The other advice about using the enzymes for cleanup and keeping the closet door closed would definitely be good to do too. :-)

By Sherri [6]02/22/2011

1. Replace the litterbox.
2. Taker her to the Veterinarian for an exam.

By Dreamwvr [1]02/22/2011

Agreed on putting the litter box back! As they get older, just like people, they are not as limber and resilient and may not have as much warning about when she has to go.

By Marlene [18]02/21/2011

The cat needs the litterbox back! Some cats hate to go out in the cold or snowy weather when the ground is frozen or covered with snow. Remember, unlike dogs, they dig a hole, use it and cover their droppings, no can do certain times of the year. A great product to use for cleaning is Nature's Miracle. You can find it at pet stores. Good Luck.

By Lisa [2]02/21/2011

Have you taken her to the vet yet? There could be some sort of underlying medical issue (urinary tract infection comes to mind). Once you've had her checked by the vet, you'll need to get all of the urine/feces smell out of the closet, so she won't want to go back to the same spot. They have enzymatic cleaners for pet accidents -- not long ago I got a bottle of OUT! from the pet area at Wal-Mart, but there are other brands available. The enzymes eat up the biological waste. Since this has been going on for a while, I think it would be good for you to retreat the area a few times. You'll want to saturate the area, so that the cleaner gets down into the padding. My kitten had an accident on the couch (urine) and the combination of using an enzymatic cleaner, the carpet cleaner, and retreating with enzymatic cleaner took care of the spot. None of my cats have ever shown any interest in the area.

You might want to also keep your daughter's closet or bedroom door closed. At least for a while, until things are getting back to normal. I hope everything turns out okay, both with the cat and your daughter's closet.