Gardening With Kids

Gardening is so good for the soul and the only thing better to watch than something grow that you planted by seed with your hands, is to watch the look in a child's eyes when they see something they planted grow. Gardening is a natural for kids. Digging in dirt, being allowed to get dirty, wonderment and excitement, doing something with their own little hands. Well, need I say more? Photo of a garden made for kids.

My grandchildren love Grandma's back yard. I converted a shed into a potting shed for them and, needless to say, we spend a lot of good times out there. I bought them their own little garden tools, finding them at dollar stores and thrift stores. Seeds are very inexpensive so they tried growing several things. Pumpkins, watermelon, tomatoes,string beans and squash. Plants such as coleus, ivy, and philodendron are fast growing and easy to care for plants which make them great for kids to grow. Every time they spend time with me, they rush out to the yard to see how much their plants had grown and enjoy watering them in the process. Photo of some beautiful flowers. A children's garden.

But, the greatest plant for them was the "Mammoth" sunflower and I recommend this to anyone who wants to garden with kids. They planted them by seed and they grew rapidly. We had no pest problems and they soon reached 9 feet tall. My joy comes from the look in their eyes as the plants grow and it is so much fun gardening with them. Try it with a child and you will plant many wonderful memories! Photo of a large sunflower.

By maryeruth from Palm Coast, FL

This was an inspirational article for me. I am a grandpa with "active" grandchildren and I am always looking for ways to occupy and educate them. I think this will work great and I am going to try the mammoth sunflower. Thanks!

Our son planted some giant sunflowers along with his pop corn when we were in NC one year. When the sunflowers were all bloomed out, we cut the big flower-heads off, dried them upsidedown and tied them to tree limbs where the birds picked them clean. We had double the pleasure watching him enjoy his gardening and feeding the wild birds.

Gardening teaches children patience like no other subject can. Sometimes you just have to wait for good things to happen.

Loved your photos. Thank you for sharing them.

A wonderful article. I teach Jr. Master Gardener classes in the schools to 3rd and 4th graders and also train other adults to teach the classes. There is nothing more enjoyable than gardening with children and watching their eyes light up when they see things they have planted grow. Even if you have gardened for years you can feel like a child again and see things as new. By the way...I love your name. My beloved sister-in-law was Ruthmary.

A mom planting flowers with her child.
Gardening With Children
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 29, 2011
A safety pin with beads in a flag pattern.
Patriotic Craft Ideas For Kids (USA)
A child not listening by covering his ears.
Getting Your Kids to Listen
Hydroponic Gardening
Hydroponic Gardening
Small Walled Garden
Gardening in Small Spaces