Growing Plants In Florida

I have a tomato plant and several other flowering plants. They are just doing terrible. I am new to Florida and perhaps my growing experience is not suitable for this climate? I even planted 10 different seeds under clear plastic and am having no luck there either. Help please?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

MrsJim from Florida

I haven't liven in Florida for years, but all my relatives that live there don't plant this time of the year, they plant their veggies & in the fall & grow in the winter, at least in mid & southern Florida. That way it's not as hot & humid & the y don't get "sunburned".

I live in Fla and grow my veggies in Earth Boxes. Worth the cost. I use their complete kit. I place the boxes in full sun for tomatoes and peppers and make sure the water level stays high.

Good soil is a must. Earth Box soil is good for 3 years, so a bit more to buy, but a savings in the long run. When starting from seed I buy potting soil, then transfer to a larger pot using potting mix. I get these at walmart or wherever on sale.

Call your county agricultural office and they will give you more information than you would have thought.

I live in zone 9, west coast, Tampa Bay area.

Good luck.

Florida Plumeria
Florida Gardening Tips and Photos
Home and Garden Gardening PlantingMay 12, 2008
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
Ft. Lauderdale Beach in Florida.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Frugal Travel Guide
Miami, Florida
Miami, Florida Frugal Travel Guide
Little girl giving to Salvation Army.
Florida Christmas Charities