Growing Huckleberries in Florida

I love huckleberry jam, but I only get a taste of this yummy fruit in December when I go to Idaho for vacation. I want to be able to have it closer to home. I wanted to know if I can grow huckleberries in Miami, FL?

Hardiness Zone: 10b

By Tanya from Miami, FL

Yes you can-Gaylussacia frondosa var. tomentosa occurs naturally in pine flat woods on the southeastern Coastal Plain in Georgia, Florida and Alabama. G. frondosa var. frondosa occurs on the Piedmont in Virginia, Georgia and Alabama. Good luck.

You might also give your agricultural extension service a call. They should be in your phone book. You can also google "Florida Agricultural Extension Service" for links.

In These Pages
Home and Garden Gardening BerriesJanuary 29, 2010
🐛
🌻
📓
😎