Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Flea Treatment

I have several rescued kitties and there are loads of fleas here in the hot Florida summer. I need a homemade recipe for a flea deterrent, the medicine is way too expensive.

By JoycieK from Gulfport, FL

By Christine I.12/29/2013

Be careful when using Dawn dish soap, it can dry out your pets skin, make sure you add a conditioner to keep there skin from drying out, skin so soft is a good example. :)

By Joann Rita Korcheski [1]04/25/2010

Skin So Soft works great on pets for fleas. You can get it from Avon and jut spray it in your hands and work it through the cats hair it repels the flea's from jumping on the cats. Good Luck

By Sandi [6]09/04/2009

If you are treating small kittens be careful. Many remedies like diatomaceous earth can be deadly. Bathing the kittens may help. Also vac your rugs every day. I used to put part of a flea collar in the vac bag to kill the fleas. Better yet call your vet for help. Any time you use chemicals, flea bombs et you are taking a risk of killing your pets and perhaps harming the little kids who live under your roof.

By Virginia [11]08/26/2009

When I lived in CA we all used the eucalyptus buttons {from the eucalyptus trees that grew all over} to make collars and put small branches with the buttons under our couches and behind doors plus wherever our pets sleep, etc. since the fleas really don't like the scent.

Don't forget that the fleas and eggs will also get into the decorative sections and cording of your sofa and under the cushions as well. After you vacuum, immediately throw away the bag or empty the container and tie it up tight as the fleas will just march back out!

If you bathe your pet for fleas/ticks please start this way: always put a good lather around their neck before you put them in water and then carefully lather the face and ear section---as soon as you put the pet IN water the fleas will run UP and into the ears and near the eyes. After the bath and it is safe they will run right down and reinfest your pet. Don't forget to put a drop of mineral oil in each eye to protect it from soap irritation before you start.

Another old trick, get a stable lamp {good tip proof base} and set it on the floor in the infested room then set a shallow pan next to it and add some dish soap and rubbing alcohol in it {with a lil water} and leave the light on at night, as the fleas jump at the source of warmth {lightbulb w/o a shade} they will fall into the liquid and perish.

Since you live in the south it would be a good idea to treat the yard around your house {I lived in Florida and had similar probs} I don't like to use chemicals but sometimes we must and I just got a 5 pound bag of SEVIN dust and sprinkled it all over outside and raked it in where I could and it kept the fleas out for a very long time---remember if they are in the yard you will walk them back into the house on your shoes and clothes.

Hope this helps a little.

Also, if the pet has a bed they lay in you can take a sheet or pillow case and open it up, sprinkle some sevin or flea powder on it & then fold over the other part of the sheet or pc and as the pet sleeps there it will suffocate the fleas on that side of their body.

By Sandi [390]08/26/2009

Bath them well using a bit of Dawn. Fleas love warm water, but the dawn disrupts their surface adhesion, and they don't float. But the little baby in a colander, and bath it with a warm stream from the faucet. This scares them less than water that is held in the sink, plus gives the fleas a one way ticket to the drain. The colander is so the wee one doesn't slip down the drain with the fleas. Then, put some Brewers yeast in their food and a small amount of vinegar in their water. This effects their blood and the fleas hate the taste. Don't use any product like a collar or application till they are old enough.

By Regina08/26/2009

I'd had good luck getting rid of mites and fleas by just feeding the affected cats raw liver. On several occasions the cat was parasite free the next day. My pets get raw liver from time to time as a preventive treatment.

By Diane08/21/2009

At Tractor supply they have this spray. By Farnam Pet Products Water-Based Flea & Tick Spray For Dogs Plus Citronella Scent. I use it on my cats too. I sprayed them real good. Put them in the laundry room for the night. It is real strong. It wont hurt the animals. I used it on a little kitten that I found in my yard. I also spray their animal bedding and place they sleep. Anyway, I let that set on them for a night.

The next day I gave them a bath with flea and tick shampoo to get rid of any other lingering fleas. I let that set on them for 5 min before I washed it off. Then I wash them with Antibacterial Dish Soap. It repels fleas for some reason. It wont hurt their skin or coat. I use it all the time on all my pets. I have used that cat powder on both my dogs and cats. It works good. Also Sulfer repeals Flees. Some people say some spices and Garlic works. I haven't used that.

I tried yeast in their food, and it gave them wet, runny stools. I have heard Diatomaceous Earth works good, and it don't hurt people or animals. It is supposedly edible. Some put it in horse feed to keep them from getting parasitic worms, and it kills maggots in horse poop. I do know when we moved a year ago into this house. It was already infested with fleas.

My animals became infested too. I took home bug spray that you spray inside. I sprayed all floors in house plus carpet. I let it set over night. Then I mopped the floors, and steamed cleaned the carpets. The spray killed the fleas, and the steam cleaner sucked up all the dead fleas and the eggs and any live fleas. Also pulled the spray out of the carpet to not hurt animals. That took care of the fleas in the house. Fleas are real bad here. Everyone is having problems. I have to keep treating my pets and giving them baths about once a week. Dish soap works well just give them a bath in it. Fleas seem to not like soap. Hope it helps.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Flea Treatment

I just found this little kitten today outside my work and me being a cat lover I took it home. I noticed that this cat is completely covered in fleas. I tried using flea shampoo the Hartz brand and this foam stuff but it really didn't seem to get them all. I live in an apartment and really don't want to have my home infested. Can someone please give me some safe cheap home remedies. It would be appreciated

Archive: Homemade Flea Treatment

I'm looking for a home solution for fleas, both in my house and on my pets. Any suggestions?

By deputyclerk from New Orleans, LA

RE: Homemade Flea Treatment

Even though you said a home treatment I want to give a thumbs up to the Frontline spray and notice I said "spray" and not the topical treatment. I think the spray is better. I have read about this, but it is too complicated for me to be able to explain. Something about the oil glands causing it to be ineffective after shedding. I am not sure. Anyway it is cheaper.

Here are some things I do in the flea season besides Frontline: Either salt or borax on carpets and furniture. Under sheets in the bed. Salt is something they really hate.

Shampoo animals in peroxide and baby shampoo. Fleas hate peroxide. Any shampoo will kill them, but when there is a bad infestation, leave the shampoo and peroxide on the pet a little longer. Here are a few other links I like to read: grandmashomeremedies.com

I am sure you will find something that will work for you. I like the suggestion of putting apple cider vinegar in the water, go to earthclinic.com and look up pets and read all they have to say about natural remedies. They are a great site. Robyn (05/12/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Homemade Flea Treatment

Any time I see a flea on one of my pets, I give it a bath in Dawn Dishsoap. It will kill the pests. Do not use Dawn all the time though because it may dry out the pets' skin by stripping it of its oils. (05/20/2009)

By Trundgirl