Clothing DryersAppliances

Longer Life For Dryer's Heating Element

To give your dryer's heating element longer life, take out the lint catcher and clean with dish washing liquid and a scubbing brush. Fabric softner & dryer sheets put a flim on the lint catcher that you cannot see that blocks air from flowing through it. If you don't believe me, before cleaning it, run the lint catcher under water and watch to see if it runs through the screen on not! It's best to clean the screen every couple of months to save your heating element!

Anna

Don't use fabric-softener dryer sheets. It's not really necessary most of the time. Due to allergies we cannot use dryer sheets or liquid fabric softener in the washer. If you want a clean rinsing, softening agent, just add white vinegar to the softener dispenser in the washer. When you remove clothes from the dryer, give them a quick snap (shake), most clothing does not hold static after that. The vinegar helps soften the clothes & helps rinse trace amounts of detergent from them. Also will neutralize any odors & is a mild disinfectant.

I always use a liquid fabric softener and used to use sheets. Now I use dryer balls instead of sheets. However, I have never had to clean the filter other than remove the lint, and my dryer is 12 years old. I have taken it out and tried it, and water runs through every time. I do not understand what products people are using or what sort of material your screens are made of. I have never had build up that blocked the screen.