Couch is Getting Lower and Softer

My couch is getting lower and softer. How hard is it to refresh the structure?

Madjimmy from Tallahassee, FL

If I'm not mistaken, there's a support board you can use for under your cushions. It's pretty firm. You could do an online search for companies that sell them in your area. It's similar to those bed boards you can get and put under your bed's mattress.

If you can open up and remove the insides of your cushions, you could wrap those inside forms with foam, from the craft store. Or, just insert a foam piece to plump them up.

Another option might be to use fiberfill from the craft store, and plump up your cushions that way. Like when you make your own throw pillows.

I was having the same problem with the cushions from my sectional sofa. I measured the cushions and called a local foam supply store for pricing on a sheet of 1" foam. It was cheaper to buy it from the Supply Store rather than buying it from a craft store as they can cut the sheet to the total measurements that you need whereas the craft store foam is pre-cut.

It was pricey as I had to do 5 large seat cushions but for the 1" foam sheeting and a can of foam adhesive it came to $80.00. I rolled out the sheeting on the floor and traced around each piece of foam with a pen and numbered each piece of foam with the cushion it belonged to. You may need to arrange all the foam from the cushions a few times to get them all to fit as they do not give you much extra to work with.

When you have them arranged and traced to fit, then cut out the 'patterns' on the foam with household scissors. You spray both pieces of foam, the 1" piece and the side of the cushion you are going to apply it to then carefully match them together. The glue dries fast so you have to be careful. I let them sit to dry for 24 hours before I put them back into the fabric casings.

Getting the foam cushions back into the casing was actually harder than doing everything else! Folding the cushion in half then sliding it into the cover then spreading it out to fit - it's really a two person job. I love my sofa and did not want to replace it so the money was well spent to give it a longer life.

Home and Garden Repair Furniture SofasNovember 4, 2008
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Rice in a cast iron pan.
Cooking Rice at High Altitudes
Soft Feet
Tips for Softer Feet
🎉
🎄