Keep Your Vacuum Working Better

I worked for 15 years in a retail store in the vacuum department so these tips may help keep your vacuum working better.

• Most upright vacuums and some canisters, break belts often because the beater bar gets bound up with hair, twine from threads or from the carpet. Before you start to vacuum, always turn your vacuum over and cut off anything that may prevent the beater bar from turning easily when in operation.

• Also, sometimes the belt may not break but it will get loose so if you even smell some burning, it is the belt 99% of the time. The belt is to be tight, not loose.

• Don't let your vacuum bag get completely full, that will give you less sucking power.

• I also take a cotton ball and spray some scent on it and put it in a new vacuum bag or I put a envelope on my vacuum bag of a sachet I like the smell of and every time I turn my vacuum on the scent is blown through out the house while I'm cleaning!

I just love that idea of the cotton ball with scent on it! ...And, all you crafters out there like me who knit (yarn) & sew (thread & needles) use a lint roller to clean up these little goodies before you vacuum or you'll end up with a vacuum that has them tangled up in the beater bar.

These above are all good suggestions.

Being a domestic services business owner for 30+ years, and also, having had a vacuum rebuilding business on the side, may I add these:

The belts and bags are the least expensive replacable parts on your vacuum. Not replacing them often enough will eventually lead to more expensive repairs or the need for a new vac.

Replace your belt as soon as it shows any wear (tears/cuts in the rubber) about every 1-2 months, with regular use. Change your bag when it's 1/2 to (no more than) 2/3 full.

As was stated, allowing the bag to become fully packed (or even almost so) will seriously cut down on air flow. It is good/strong air flow that enables a vacuum to do what it does best. (Not, btw, AMPs. Number of AMP's are merely the indication of the amount of "juice" a vac uses to run.)

I use a vacuum cleaner attachment that works outside the suction head and you will solve the problems of the following: No loss of suction, blocked pipes, beater bar getting fowled up, less belt breaks

It's called an"Hairyhog"lifts pet hairs and dander out of carpet like no other. I got it from" stirtsystems.com" on the net,