How to Reuse Disposable Vacuum Bags

It can be expensive and time-consuming to continually have to buy disposable vacuum cleaner bags. Frugal folk have learned how to empty them out and use them again. This is a guide about how to reuse disposable vacuum bags.

I have an expensive vacuum cleaner that takes expensive bags. To save on buying new bags for my vacuum, I simply cut the bottom off the bag, empty it, and duct tape the bottom shut. Voila! I have a recycled vacuum cleaner bag.

By Dee from Salem, VA

Top Comment

I am living on a very, very tight budget and this is a brilliant idea. Thanks.

Top Comment

Before I switched to a bagless vacuum, I had one that I could never find bags for. So I decided to make my own reuseable bags. I recycled old, worn-out pillow cases and sheets by cutting them to size and then stitching up the sides and bottom. To solve the issue of keeping them in place, I took thin pieces of elastic and fed them through a little pocket I had stitched around the opening for just that purpose. This worked great, and when the bag was full I would dump it and throw it in the wash! I made a few of them so that I always had an extra clean one I could use. I saved money and recycled all at the same time! For those of you who don't sew, you could use hot glue or a fabric glue instead of sewing. I hope this idea helps someone.

Top Comment

A vacuum cleaner picks up dirty air from the floor and forces it into the reservoir, where the heavier particles (dirt and hair) drop out. The air, still dusty, is then forced through filters - either the sides of the bag, or a HEPA filter, or whatever. If your machine is designed to use disposable bags, and you reuse them, the dust and mold are still trapped in the sides of the bag, clogging it and then being forced back out into the room by air pressure. If you make your own bags, they won't trap the dust like they're supposed to, and the whatever gets through will get into the motor on the way back out of the machine and will damage it.

A HEPA filter is used to get the air as clean as possible, for severely allergic people; that's why it's so expensive. To reuse one is like washing your clothes in a muddy creek.

Any time you reuse a disposable bag or filter, or substitute something else, you're going to have dust and mold going back into the room, or you're risking killing your vacuum cleaner motor, or both. Is it worth the savings in bags?

When your vacuum bag is full, cut open the end of the bag to dump. Then staple it back together and use it again.

Source: A book, cannot remember which one!

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Cheapskate here! Since sweeper bags are so expensive, I empty one, roll the top over and staple. I can use it 2-3 more times!

By Pam from Elkhart, IN

Top Comment

You can also look for universal no name brands at dollar general, wal-mart and k/mart and they are cheap. They will state which vacuums they fit.

Re-use vacuum cleaner bags to save money! Instead of throwing the bag away when it gets full, follow these simple steps:

1. Unroll the bottom of the bag and empty the dust into a trash can.
  2. Ad

3. Roll the bag back up tightly.
  4. Secure well with duct tape.

If you are unable to unroll the bottom of the bag, just cut the bottom off close to the seam, roll it up about 2 inches and secure well with the duct tape. I've been able to re-use the same bag 4 or 5 times this way!

By PNoll from Louisville, KY

Vacuum cleaner bags can get expensive and I found a great tip. When the bag is full, unfold and cut the top or bottom of the bag out, empty in another trash bin. Using a stapler fold and staple the bag back together and replace just like a new one.

Source: My mom told me.

By Janace Lynn M. from Lawton, OK

Most disposable vacuum bags can be emptied and reused more than once.

- Sarah

Answers:

Thrifty Tips for the Week of 2/21/2002

To Sara, thanks for the vacuum cleaner tip: I thought I was the only one who cleaned and dusted them off for another use. Also, I have to laugh at your clothes-out-of-dryer tip because when I was working and my husband retired, he would do the laundry and fold everything! in neat little square packets: my dresses, skirts, towels; everything and when I would get home from work, the folds would be "SET" and I would have soooooo much ironing to do. I did not have the heart to complain (but I finally did) Thanks, Rose Keys (02/22/2002)

By rogo