Cleaning Under Nails After Gardening

I hate how dirt gets under my nails when I garden. No matter how hard I try, I couldn't get all the dirt out from under my nails. Then I discovered the dish sprayer from the kitchen sink. A few seconds squirting directly under the nails, and all the dirt is gone. And it feels good.

By Kathleen from Reno, NV

The best technique I've found is to turn on the water fawcet outside and use the jet setting on your nozzle. Use the water the get everything out from under those fingernails and it also loosens the dirt on your hands and feet. It feels great on a Hot Houston afternoon!

You can avoid the dirt all together by scratching a bar of soap before gardening, then when you wash up the soap melts under warm water.

Works for any dirty job. I got this tip from a mechanic.

Over the years I too have used the soap scrapped under the nail trick. It works for me.

This method does work well, with an added nail scrubber and a bit of soap. BUT I can help you before you get your nails dirty! Before going out to the garden, just dig your nails into a bar of soap, and get some under each nail. This will prevent much dirt getting under the nails in the first place, and you automatically have soap under there when ready to spray off the nails!

June 14, 2010 Flag

I love to garden! Before I start, I run my fingernails across a bar of soap lightly. When I am done in the yard, I wash my hands with a nail brush and my nails are clean because the soap was under my nails. It works great!

By Italian Noni

Keeping Nails Clean When Gardening

Thank you for this tip, I am always dredging dirt with my nails, and vinyl gloves just don't work. (08/04/2005)

By Drava

A rain barrel hooked up to a down spout.
Frugal Gardening Tips
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsJune 14, 2010
hands full of soil
Cleaning Fingernails After Gardening
sore nails
Remedies for Nail Pain After Removing Acrylic Nails
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails