Cleaning Coated Eyeglass Lenses

How do you clean anti-reflective eyeglass lenses and multi-coated lenses?

upulgamage from Sri Lanka

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By mcw 80 1,754 08/04/2008

I asked the same question at an optical shop and I was told to use a soft cotton cloth and a mixture of a small amount of rubbing alcohol and water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By DEBRADJ. (Guest Post) 08/05/2008

I had an old flannel nightie that I cut up and use to clean my glasses. There are commercial products but soap and water does it for me letting them dry then polishing with the flannel

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Judy (Guest Post) 08/05/2008

I was told to use a paper towel.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Chris Richman 10 106 08/05/2008

Be sure you rinse the lenses well before cleaning or polishing to remove any particles that may scratch the lens surface.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Bette (Guest Post) 08/07/2008

Three comments: I have always heard that since paper is made from wood pulp it can scratch glasses.

My glasses were tuning cloudy when I cleaned them and when I told my optical store what that I was using alcohol with a little Dawn in it they said the alcohol reacts with those coatings and is causing the cloudiness.

They said if I am going to make my own to use distilled water with a few drops of Dawn or any dish washing liquid in it and that has solved my problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By tt-rexxx (Guest Post) 11/17/2008

most all materials will scratch plastic with coated lenses over time. I use a micro fabric cloth from lenscrafters works great without liquid and can be washed when dirty

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No