Blocking The Sun From Coming In My Windows

I have 3 large kitchen windows with closed mini blinds that don't stop the sun's heat. Any temporary fix suggestions?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Go to Walmart and purchase the solar car covers for $6 apiece. Measure your windows and cut solar panels to fit them. I have done this by taping them with scotch tape onto my windows. All of the sun's heat was repelled and my kitchen was not not anymore. This will totally block the sun's rays. Amy

What exactly is a solar car cover? A giant sheet of plastic that drapes over a car?

Are you having a scotch tape residue problem?

Do you place the sticky side of the tape on the window, frame or painted wall?

I have a bedroom window that does the same thing. I have made a "portable" heat deflector for this window by taking a piece of cardboard and covering it with foil. I cut it to fit the window and I put it up in the window when I need to keep the heat out. It fits snug in the window so I don't have to tape it up or anything. When I don't need it I just store it in my closet. I hope this helps!

I have a southern facing window in my kitchen that shines on anyone facing it right in the eyes. I went to the hardware store and got window tinting (like cars sometimes have) and it took the glare down and lets enought sun it to light up the room but not heat it up. Good Luck!

I have room darkening shades on my windows and they keep the sun out.

I got solar car windshield covers at the Dollar Store for a dollar each. They cover the car's windshield, with loops or suction cups on the side to hold it in place. I use them 2 at a time in the van.

What way do you have your blinds turned? My blinds, large ones in my living and bed room windows, were provided my my apartment manager. They were put in with the slats turned inward, letting the sun in. I finally got smart and turned the slots so they slanted out. Lets the sun in but not the glare and I assume heat. Made a big difference.

I'd get "solar screen" cloth from Lowe's or H. Depot,

and staple measures sheets of it on the inside edges of each window. It really made a huge difference with our sun problem and allows us to see out as well. God help you to make the wisest choice.

: )

I put shades on the OUTSIDE of the windows I want to block. That way, the widow doesn't get hot. Once the window is hot, the heat is inside.

I purchased some mylar "emergency blankets" for 2.00 each, i doubled them up and taped them to the inside of my windows, then pulled the mini blinds down in front of them. they are too fragile to use outside, however the do a great job of deflecting the heat and cooling the room.

I also have tried landscape plastic on the inside of the windows, cardboard in the windowsill these work well also, the only problem with taping things in a window besides residue is the possibility that the heat may make it lose stickyness. I usually use a couple tacks in the upper part of the window frame where no one would see them anyhow to secure whatever creative cooling device I have installed.

I put sheets of plywood hanging on hinges installed along the top of the window frame. This year I plan on painting them in simple quilt patterns (google "barn quilts", to match the house. Altho I have air conditioning it's rarely used as I also have a large fan I can use if necessary.

I have white and light colored sheers in the windows along with light colored curtains or whatever light color you may like. Light colors reflect heat away and dark colors retain heat.

Home and Garden Home Improvement CoolingOctober 8, 2006
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
🎉
🎄