Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

What is a good mosquito repellent for pets, especially goats?

By jjinyancey from South TX

I had a problem with one of my German Shepherds. His ears kept being bitten. I went to the pet store and I was recommended a spray repellent wich is actually used for horses, but it works wonderfully. I am in Australia but you would certainly have the same thing in the US. In the summer, which we are almost in here in Aus, I never let them out at night without it, because the mosquitoes here can cause Ross River Virus, and other nasty diseases. And I have such a phobia about flies annoying my dogs anyway, this spray is invaluable for keeping them away in summer. I tried citronella but it didn't seem to work as well as this spray.

I used this fly spray I bought at Petco to rid flies from my German shepherd. Please take precaution on how you put it on your dog. If your dog is anything like mine, he licked all the areas I had sprayed and fell deathly ill. After nursing him back I threw out the can of Flies Off and just use the Frontline. No more toxic fumes for any of my pets, I prefer only organic or the home made stuff from now on.

September 17, 2009 Flag

I need something to keep the mosquitoes off my German Shepherd. We cannot go outside without getting swarmed and eaten alive. I've just seen several suggestions on the web, but the main thing keeping me from trying them is that I also have 4 cats who will groom the dog. So the remedy needs to be safe if ingested by a cat. Any ideas? Thanks.

By aqrose from NE GA

Answers:

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

Buy a hand lotion called "skin so soft", it's made by Avon. I've been putting it on my animals for years. Won't harm the animal and keeps mosquitoes away. (08/10/2009)

By lorraina

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

Be sure to check the ingredients of anything you use on yourself or your pets. Most will contain preservatives which end in "paraben" such as methylparaben. These are made from petroleum (like gasoline is) and are carcinogens (they cause cancer). Other ingredients are also found that are harmful.

You should use something that is all natural; both the ingredients that do the work and the ones that are preservatives. I make all natural products and have a product that insects hate. It smells good to me, but is safe for people and pets.

The ingredients that do the work are essential oils. I put them into the spray that I make. But if you want to get some essential oils from the natural food store and make up some of your own, I use Lemongrass, Lavender, Peppermint, ROE (an essential oil that has a long name), and usually some vanilla to keep the little gnats away. While essential oils are safe under most conditions, kids should be sure to have an adult who is knowledgeable about them to guide in the mixing and using of them.

If you want to just order some for about $6 plus shipping, you can check them out at: mysister2 DOT com. Hope this helps. (08/10/2009)

By Painted Lady

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

Start feeding your dog Brewers Yeast tablets with Garlic, you can find them in Walmart and Tractor Supply or from a pet supply company. After giving them to your dog for about a month, enough garlic will have built up in his system that nothing will want to bite him. These really do work, I have been using them on my dogs for 8 years and I raise Australian Shepherds and have 7 adult dogs and no fleas, no worms and no need for chemicals. (08/11/2009)

By bsmoreland

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

According to the ASPCA:

"Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain concentrated amounts of garlic."

I've read about using a few drops of citronella oil on your dog's collar isn't harmful and cats are repelled by the scent of citronella just like the skeeters are, so it's doubtful they'll lick your doggies collar ;-) (08/12/2009)

By Deeli

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

Go to a health-food store and buy Citronella essential oil. Put it in a little spray bottle (like you might mist your plants with) along with a very light carrier oil, like almond oil.

Before you go outside, mist him lightly with the oils. You can use this too, and the cats won't be harmed. (08/12/2009)

By Shosha

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

I recently read on this very same site that you can use mouth wash (Listerine) and that it's safe for the environment, pets, and us as well . (08/12/2009)

By wondering

Pet Safe Mosquito Repellent

I use lemon juice for our family members, don't know for pets. I think it is all natural and won't make any harm and can be diluted with water. (08/12/2009)

By amani

Mosquito Repellent Coil
Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets
Home and Garden Pest Control MosquitoesSeptember 17, 2009
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Mosquito Repellant
Mosquito Repellent Reviews
🎉
🎄