Keep Your Toothbrush Germ Free

Sterilize your toothbrushes by soaking in some bleach water to sanitize on a regular basis.

By Syd.

Editor's Note: I have read that you can soak them in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water for about 10 minutes and that should do the trick. Then rinse the toothbrush well and let it air dry.

I like to use regular over the counter hydrogen poroxide and soak them over night, once a week, and right after the children are over colds to help keep the germs at bay. Also place your toothbrushes as far away from the commode as possible.

You can also soak them in Listerine or put them in the silverware caddy of the dishwasher and run it on the hottest setting.

Thank you Syd, Editor and Jessie! I think the peroxide would be easier for me. lol

Just wanted to add... When I tried the bleach several years ago it ate the glue holding the bristles in my tooth brush.... I think I used to much bleach.LOL Lucky I keep extras on hand .

I think bleach is overkill on the toothbrushes. Just soak them in a little mouthwash or cheaper yet hydrogen peroxide, or run them through the dishwasher. I think that bleach, though very effective for sanitizing, is used way too much. A little bit goes a long way. Just a few drops can make a gallon of water safe so use with care.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I do think people worry too much about germs.

Toothbrushes don't store that many germs because germs die when in dry environment; they dry out in the time between brushings. Also once you've had a cold or illness, your body is then immune to that particular strain of germ. We all panic too much I think. The human race has survived a long time; I don't think toothbrushes are going to finish us off!

I think what they are talking about most is what floats up from the toilet. Having said that, I get 6/1.00 and throw mine into the cleaning bucket after about 2 months anyway, and never "ever" leave them on your sink.

You can soak your tooth brush in mouthwash, soak it in hydrogen peroxide, or put it in the dishwasher, but my former dental assistant told me to change it at least every 8 weeks, and if it starts to lose its shape, sooner. If you are sick, do not use the toothbrush again. You will just be putting the bacteria back in your mouth, and your mouth already has more bacteria than virtually any other place on your body.