Hard Water Stains in Plastic Water Jug

I have a plastic water jug that I keep filled in the refrigerator. I have noticed that it has a white hard water stains in it. I tried filling it with vinegar and baking soda and rice and shaking it, but that didn't do the trick. How can I remove this white film from the inside of the jug. It has a small neck.

Linda from Southwestern Pennsylvania

Dishwasher soap.

Use about a teaspoon of dishwasher soap (like Cascade) and some hot water (about half full)-- shake it up and see if that will cut it. If it helped, but didn't get it all-- do it once more. This time let it sit over night.

Vinegar removes hard water spots. Let it soak for a while then rinse.

The reason your first attempt didn't work is that baking soda and vinegar together neutralize each other, and create salt water and carbon dioxide. Use vinegar by itself, and if there are a lot of these stains, don't dilute it. Let the vinegar sit in the bottle overnight. If that doesn't work well enough, try CLR. Vinegar is an acid and will dissolve hard water deposit; CLR is a stronger acid so it will do the same thing, but faster and with heavier scale.

Use bleach it will clean the jug & etc. Good luck.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceNovember 21, 2008
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft