Cleaning Candle Wax from Wood Furniture

Removing wax from tables, shelves, and bookcases can be difficult and costly, but must be done correctly to avoid damaging wood surfaces. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from wood furniture.

Candle wax dripping down side of container and wood stand
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I always do the same thing no matter where the wax has dripped; once on expensive (not mine) speakers. Let the iron heat up to a medium/light setting and have many paper towels (or paper bags ripped into squares) ready. You put down the paper or paper bag then place the iron on the spot. As soon as you see the paper (bag) getting a wet look to it remove it. Do the same thing over again and again until it's all removed. It works on wood, fabric, even walls (that you can't scrape).

I have only once had a color stain left. That time I used a baking soda mixture to remove the small reddish stain left behind.

Sometimes the easy things seem too simple, but try it. I have never had it fail. Make sure you don't let too much absorb at once, keep replacing the paper towels. The time I didn't have paper towels was when I cut a grocery brown bag up into squares and it worked also. Good luck!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had candle wax go through a red tablecloth onto the oak table top. How do we get the red dye out of the table top finish?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can anyone tell me the full name or manufactuer of the 'magic eraser' referred to ( re removing red dye stain from wood)? I'm in Australia , not sure if it's the 'Chux' one or 'Mr Clean' product.

Read More Answers...

I have red cinnamon scented candle wax on an antique piano, but not on keys. It is just on the wood behind the music holder and in the seams. The wood is cherry I believe. The piano is about 75 to 80 years old.
My husband blew out a tea light under a tart warmer on the piano and didn't confess for 2 days. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

By Lisa from Mt. Vernon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use your hair dryer on high, then use toothpicks with cotton swabbed on them, thinner than Q-tips.

Read More Answers...

How do you remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Carolyn from Memphis, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Scrape it off with a an old credit or gift card.

Read More Answers...

How do I remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Annie from Glencoe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Carefully scrape the wax off with a credit card as a scraper. You can remove most of the wax. Then warm the wax residue that is left with a hair dryer on a low setting, after covering the wax with a paper towel. The wax will melt and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax.

What is the best way to remove candle wax from an antique oak dresser?

By Bill from Sarasota, FL

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

By Millie

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

First use a plastic light-switch plate, and after that, use an old credit card to scrape the rest of the wax off. The credit card and the plastic light-switch plate won't harm or scratch you wood. Just keep them flat and don't use their corners.

If you have extra wax left over after the credit card, simply warm the left-over wax up a tiny bit with your blow-dryer, "just" until the wax melts a bit and while it's melted, wipe the melted wax with a paper towel. Lastly, buff the wood with a soft cloth. (03/17/2010)

By Cyinda

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I know an hot iron with newsprint or tissue works to absorb the wax. This works to remove from cloths this may be the answer. Lay the tissue on the wax, hot iron on top to melt and absorb. Have lots of tissue, so as not to spread it, would be my suggestion. (03/20/2010)

By mx5 girl

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I don't think I would want to use a hot iron on my wood furniture as that may damage it even more than the candle wax problem. Just MHO. (03/21/2010)

By Indianone

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I blew out a candle and wax got on my furniture (wood) and my TV speakers. How can I get it out and off the surfaces?

By Marcia from Klamath Falls, OR

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I spilled candle wax (a lot) on an attic buffet. How can I get this off? What a mess.

By Ann from Tipp City, OH

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Since you say it's a lot of wax I would start with gently scraping with a plastic scraper to get the majority of it off and then there are also lots of good advice beyond doing that in the ThriftyFun archives below. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I did this last night when a candle burned and over flowed onto my wife's new black end table (man she was pissed at me). Anyway, we gently scraped away the loose wax first. Next she came here for ideas and discussed the ideas with me; however, I had another idea. Knowing a little about waxes and oils and knowing that Vaseline is wax melted in mineral oil, I took out the Squibb Mineral Oil (you can find this in Walmart or CVS).

We put the mineral oil on an old rag and rubbed. A little elbow grease and in 15 minutes no more candle wax on her new black end table. Needless to say, she's still a little made at me, but she said "You saved the day". And the best part about this removal method is no heating, no scraping/scratching, etc. The mineral oil dissolves away the candle wax. Hope this helps someone out. (01/12/2010)

By Danped

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I get candle wax off of wood furniture?

Susan from Danville. KY

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Melt it carefully. In the old days, they let the furniture sit outside in the sun. That would probably do the trick.

Diem
(03/12/2007)

By DIEM

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

My stain was a red/purple candle dye on a light oak table and I tried several things that didn't work before this did:
Take clear rubbing alcohol, use it to wet a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser instead of water. Rub the spot thoroughly. It took a few minutes to get up, and at first I didn't think it would work, but I got the entire stain up perfectly. (08/23/2007)

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I have had good luck with this "trick" removing candle wax from carpet and wooden furniture. Take plain brown wrapping paper like the kind used for wrapping packages for shipping. Can be bought at Walmart, mail packaging services, Target, etc.

Place several layers of paper over wax. Take a low iron and slowly iron over the paper where the wax is. You will see that the wax is absorbed into the paper. Keep moving the paper around as it gets saturated with the melted wax, replacing the paper when needed, until the wax is gone from the carpet or wood. It worked for me and I hope you have good luck too.

(09/09/2007)

By metroplex

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I spilled red candle wax all over a wood table. I ironed over a paper towel and it come out. I had to repeat this a few times, but it works. (04/30/2008)

By Elisa

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Using a blow drier with a plastic card worked great for me. (05/26/2008)

By Jeremy

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Since it wasn't wax that needed to come off, but the stain it left behind the suggestion about the Magic Eraser and alcohol worked. Thank you so much. Be ready for the finish to come off as well though. Clear varnish helped us to fix that problem. (12/29/2008)

By Kerri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I accidentally spilled hot wax (from a candle )on my dresser and wall. How can I clean this up and not leave a mess? Thanks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How can I remove candle wax from a wooden chest?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do I get candle wax off a glass coffee table?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had a Pampered Chef party Friday night and candle wax got spilled on my coffee table. How do I get it off? I

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can remove melted candle wax from a piece of furniture, or sometimes this will even work for carpet, with a piece of brown paper bag and an iron.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I blew a red candle out and the wax went on the wood table beneath it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 19, 2011
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 4, 2016 at 7:06:08 PM on 10.0.1.56 in 353 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.