Cleaning Candle Wax from Wood Furniture

Removing wax from tables, shelves, and bookcases can be difficult and costly, but must be done correctly to avoid damaging wood surfaces. This is a guide about cleaning candle wax from wood furniture.

November 9, 2016 Flag

A clothes iron taking wrinkles out of orange fabric.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about using an iron for cleaning up candle wax. Your iron is the perfect tool to use to clean up candle wax drips and spills.

December 30, 2005 Flag

We had candle wax go through a red tablecloth onto the oak table top. How do we get the red dye out of the table top finish?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used WEIMAN LEMON OIL on my Oak Furniture to remove candle wax, it works for a lot of things on real wood furniture

I had a red candle stain on my golden oak dining room table, and the candle wasn't even lit! After unsuccessfully trying the hair dryer and rag trick, I saw on here that some used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, so I bought it from Walmart without much hope. WOW, was I surprised! It worked!! I scrubbed for at least 10 minutes, but you would never know that a stain had been there. I just soaked it with water, not the rubbing alcohol that has been posted. After, clean with Endust, and it looks great.

December 16, 2010 Flag

I have red cinnamon scented candle wax on an antique piano, but not on keys. It is just on the wood behind the music holder and in the seams. The wood is cherry I believe. The piano is about 75 to 80 years old.
My husband blew out a tea light under a tart warmer on the piano and didn't confess for 2 days. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you.

By Lisa from Mt. Vernon

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can remove melted candle wax from a piece of furniture, or sometimes this will even work for carpet, with a piece of newspaper and an iron. Just place a piece of newspaper (folded) over the melted wax area and place a hot iron, on a low setting, on top of the newspaper for 5 to 10 seconds, lift up iron and paper. The wax should have soaked up into the paper and removed it from the furniture. This might need to be repeated a few times.

By Lori Bartel

My favorite trick for removing wax from furniture or cloth is to take a piece of paper and an old towel and "iron" the wax. Lay the paper directly on the wax (newspaper works well). then cover with an old towel or cloth (preferably cotton or terry). Set your iron to high and iron back and forth over the wax, lifting the towel and paper periodically and using a new place on the paper each time you stop to iron again. repeat until all wax is gone. the wax will soak up into the paper and towel. Voila!

September 7, 2010 Flag

How do you remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Carolyn from Memphis, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Place a piece of brown paper bag over the wax & heat with a hair drier. As the heat melts the wax, it will soak into the brown paper bag. Do not use newspaper as it will not soak up the wax.

Scrape it off with a an old credit or gift card.

January 15, 2012 Flag

How do I remove candle wax from wood furniture?

By Annie from Glencoe

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Carefully scrape the wax off with a credit card as a scraper. You can remove most of the wax. Then warm the wax residue that is left with a hair dryer on a low setting, after covering the wax with a paper towel. The wax will melt and the paper towel will absorb the melted wax.

March 12, 2013 Flag

A glass candle holder broke yesterday and the wax spilled out on to the table. I let it dry for a bit and then I removed the wax carefully with a plastic scrapper. It came off, but there is a shiny stain you can see at an angle. When you touch it it feels as it it had been polished.
How can I remove this stain guys? I don't want to make it worse as it is a brand new table.
Thanks

By Jose

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 18, 2012 Flag

How do I remove red candle wax from wood?

By Sue from La Porte, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2010 Flag

By Millie

Answers:

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

First use a plastic light-switch plate, and after that, use an old credit card to scrape the rest of the wax off. The credit card and the plastic light-switch plate won't harm or scratch you wood. Just keep them flat and don't use their corners.

If you have extra wax left over after the credit card, simply warm the left-over wax up a tiny bit with your blow-dryer, "just" until the wax melts a bit and while it's melted, wipe the melted wax with a paper towel. Lastly, buff the wood with a soft cloth. (03/17/2010)

By Cyinda

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I know an hot iron with newsprint or tissue works to absorb the wax. This works to remove from cloths this may be the answer. Lay the tissue on the wax, hot iron on top to melt and absorb. Have lots of tissue, so as not to spread it, would be my suggestion. (03/20/2010)

By mx5 girl

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I don't think I would want to use a hot iron on my wood furniture as that may damage it even more than the candle wax problem. Just MHO. (03/21/2010)

By Indianone

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just spilled a ton of hot wax all over my coffee table an expensive one...I let it dry and used just a credit card it it all came right off with no issue.

March 17, 2010 Flag

I spilled candle wax (a lot) on an attic buffet. How can I get this off? What a mess.

By Ann from Tipp City, OH

Answers:

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

Since you say it's a lot of wax I would start with gently scraping with a plastic scraper to get the majority of it off and then there are also lots of good advice beyond doing that in the ThriftyFun archives below. (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

Candle Wax on Wood Furniture

I did this last night when a candle burned and over flowed onto my wife's new black end table (man she was pissed at me). Anyway, we gently scraped away the loose wax first. Next she came here for ideas and discussed the ideas with me; however, I had another idea. Knowing a little about waxes and oils and knowing that Vaseline is wax melted in mineral oil, I took out the Squibb Mineral Oil (you can find this in Walmart or CVS).

We put the mineral oil on an old rag and rubbed. A little elbow grease and in 15 minutes no more candle wax on her new black end table. Needless to say, she's still a little made at me, but she said "You saved the day". And the best part about this removal method is no heating, no scraping/scratching, etc. The mineral oil dissolves away the candle wax. Hope this helps someone out. (01/12/2010)

By Danped

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like a good idea, but will it work when the spill occurred

over a year ago?

December 16, 2010 Flag

What is the best way to remove candle wax from an antique oak dresser?

By Bill from Sarasota, FL

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2010 Flag

I blew out a candle and wax got on my furniture (wood) and my TV speakers. How can I get it out and off the surfaces?

By Marcia from Klamath Falls, OR

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2009 Flag

How can I get candle wax off of wood furniture?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2009 Flag

I accidentally spilled hot wax (from a candle )on my dresser and wall. How can I clean this up and not leave a mess? Thanks.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 19, 2009 Flag

How can I remove candle wax from a wooden chest?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 25, 2008 Flag

How do I get candle wax off a glass coffee table?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 20, 2007 Flag

I had a Pampered Chef party Friday night and candle wax got spilled on my coffee table. How do I get it off? I

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 25, 2007 Flag

You can remove melted candle wax from a piece of furniture, or sometimes this will even work for carpet, with a piece of brown paper bag and an iron.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 22, 2004 Flag

I blew a red candle out and the wax went on the wood table beneath it.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 19, 2011
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Using an Iron for Cleaning Up Candle Wax
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 3:29:57 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.