HealthDogs

How to Tell if a Dog is Sick

My daughter wants to know how to tell if our dog is sick. I can't remember, is it when the nose is cold and wet or dry and hot. Thanks!

Katya from Sterling, Virginia

My dog's nose becomes dry whenever he has been sleeping, it does not mean he is sick. Often you will notice that after exercise or a long, deep sleep your dog's nose will become dry and his pads may also become warm. Normally after a few minutes, or after he licks his nose the "wetness" will return. Although, if your dog always has an extremely dry nose you should become concerned.

If you want to be able to tell whether or not your dog is sick, pay attention to his eating habits, if his stomach makes strange noises, or if he tends to act as though he wants you to hold him and pet him a lot. When my dog becomes sick, I make him some chicken soup and wash his bed so that he can sleep comfortably.

I hope this helps, personally I enjoy caring for dogs, so I have had a lot of experience with them, and I understand a lot about them. Therefore, this is the best advice I can lend toward your inquiry.

When a dogs nose is little wet its ok. When the dogs nose is running like a human the dog has a cold or allergies, when it's dry they sometimes can be sick, depends on their normal behavior. This information comes from me who had their dog for 12 years. Good luck and love your dog.

That poor dog isn't sick, he's just embarrassed to death wearing that purple thing. lol

You can't always tell by the nose - better to check the gums for paleness or the eyes and such. Better yet - ask a vet what they would say - when training in a kennel we had a 2 page checklist for signs of health we had to check off everyday. It's a lot more than just the nose which can also be due to weather.

LOL, thanks for all the feedback. I'll check with the vet too. You may be right about the clothes, she always puts him in pj's and my old bathing suits :)

Hi, I might be getting this post in late, but here goes, anyway.

We have had dogs the entire 11 years I've been with hubby, and right now have three: one mastiff and two mid-sized dogs, one of whom is a rescue animal. Rather than depend on the nose, we observe our dogs' overall behavior. Is he/she eating normally? Whining or sleeping more than usual? Does he/she seem to be in pain? We also check eyes and ears for signs of trouble (like "matter,") before we call the vet. That way, we can give a better idea of possible causes for the symptoms.