Products For Those With Alzheimer's

Awhile back someone sent in some ideas about treating Alzheimer's using ginkgo and another vitamin. I would really appreciate getting that information again.

I really enjoy everything about "thrifty fun" Thanks so much.

Ginkgo Biloba for Alzheimer's Disease: Alzheimers Information

Ginkgo Biloba

Alternative treatments for Alzheimer's disease

Ginkgo biloba is a Chinese medicine that has been used for centuries. Ginkgo is one of the most popular herbs in the USA and Europe. The medicine is extracted from leaves of the ginkgo biloba tree and is believed to improve brain function.

Research however shows only minimal benefits. Various studies claim ginkgo biloba has;

antioxidant properties

antinflammatory properties

There is some evidence that ginkgo inhibits the formation of beta-amyloid, a protein that forms amyloid plaques in the brains of people with Alzheimer's disease

Ginkgo biloba is also thought to increase cerebral circulation, blood flow to the brain.

The difficulty of stating absolutes about ginkgo's effectiveness is that research findings vary in their results. Some clinical trials do show some small positive effects on people with Alzheimer's disease, other studies no effect.

At the present time there is no evidence that ginkgo biloba will cure or prevent Alzheimer's disease. One large scale clinical research project by the National Institute on Aging may soon give us more insight into the therapeutic effects of ginkgo and whether it prevents dementia.

Dosage of ginkgo biloba

A dosage of 120mg a day of ginkgo biloba broken into two or three dosages is typical.

I take it almost every day, it helps me, good luck.

I have been in healthcare for almost 20 years now. Alzheimer's is my area of "specialty". I cared for my grandmother who had it. This is a truly difficult disease. Any supplementation should be reviewed by a doctor. Even though there are natural treatments and supplements out there, please know that they also have side effects. One side effect of Ginkgo is that it can "thin" the blood. This may be dangerous if a person is already taking aspirin or other blood thinners (like coumadin, etc.). The greatest benefits come when a physician and patient (or family) are all on the same page and up to date on communication.

February 17, 2010 Flag

My uncle had Alzheimer's disease and it is such a hard disease for all to cope with. I found a wonderful catalog that is called "The Alzheimer's Store" at http://www.alzstore.com. It has some really good ideas for helping the family and caregivers. It has so much that you can purchase to make it easier for all concerned. If you don't want to purchase the item, maybe you can "make" your own substitute, or use the idea that is in the catalog.

By Leann from Columbus, OH

Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 17, 2010
Generic Body Products
Name Ideas for a Body Products Business
Pet Ferret
Household Products for Removing Pet Odors
Homemade Beauty Products
Storing Homemade Beauty Products
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
🎄