Celery Substitute

If you are in a pinch because you are out of celery, here is a substitute: Substitute chopped cabbage (for the crunch) and add some celery seed or salt (for the flavor)!

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Celery works well frozen. Wash the stalks, slice them into 1/4 inch pieces. Measure out whatever portions you like to use (1 cup portions work for me) and place into small ziploc sandwich bags. Use a sharpie and label the bags with how much is in them and the date. This works well for recipes and prevents waste; I also do this with chopped and minced onion.

Another tip... when you write on bags for the freezer with permanent marker, cover the writing with clear packing tape. This allows the writing to "stick around" regardless of temperature change or condensation.

I dehydrate ALOT of celery at a time. Then just powder them in my Vitamix (a blender will do fine). I always have celery in the house! I seal it in a jar with the Foodsaver, it will keep just about forever. It just never lasts as I use it almost daily!

Another crispy, nutritious, and flavorful substitute for celery may be Anise Root or Fennel (Bulb). It is very popular in the Northeast especially around Thanksgiving or Christmas, but because of more diverse populations now, it is easier to find it practically year round. It looks like a large greenish white onion with branches of fine feathery leaves coming off that is also great to store, freeze or use for salads, soups, or even sandwiches, or wraps! Enjoy!

Penny

Ipswich, MA

June 3, 2008 Flag

Celery usually sells in a bunch, but my husband and I can't use that much before it spoils. Instead, I keep cans of water chestnuts in the pantry to use as a substitute. The water chestnuts are moist and crunchy, similar to celery so they work great in stuffing, casseroles and Chinese-wok meals.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Answers:

Celery Substitute

There is also a leafy plant called "lovage" that works in place of celery. The leaves can be cut very finely or dried and crushed for celery flavor. Use sparingly as it is very strong. I cut and dry the leaves to use all winter till the plant comes back in the spring. You can also use the stalks as straws in Bloody Mary's (I've heard). It can be found at your local greenhouse. It comes back every year and seems to get bigger and bigger. Very little care involved. (09/27/2006)

By Lisa H.

Celery Substitute

what a great idea! We too never use celery before it goes bad. I will have to give this a try.Thanks (09/28/2006)

By phylimac

Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsJune 4, 2008
Celery on White Background
Storing Celery
Windowsill Celery Hearts
Growing Windowsill Celery Hearts
Limp Celery
Reviving Limp Celery
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
🎄
🍂