14th Birthday Party Ideas

I am looking for party ideas for a boy turning 14.

By Rhonda from San Francisco, CA

It would helpful to know if he's into sports (does he have a favorite one?) or likes video games or is an avid book reader or likes music, plays an instrument? Then it would be easier to plan something around that;with food ideas, games, decorations. Indoor or outdoor, number of guests.

It's my 15th birthday party on the 7th of December this year and I can't think of ideas. I have a lot of friends and I love music and sports e.g. basketball, football. I have a budget of under 100 pounds! Can any one help!

Oh also I'm a boy!

We hired a dj, rented the local community center, and a snow cone machine, chocolate fountain, had a big cake, invite girls and boys and danced like crazy! They looovvvved it!

May 26, 2010 Flag

My 13 year old daughter is turning 14 this May, and she wants to have her party at a hotel (spend the night one night) with her friends. Any ideas on things to do in the hotel room, or themes, foods, anything? Or just any good party ideas for a 14 year old girl's party with about 10-13 friends?

Thanks.

By Hannah from New York, NY

Answers:

14th Birthday Party Ideas

We did this for my son's 17th birthday once and it was the best thing we did! I found a hotel that didn't mind that many kids and I got a suite (for a very reasonable price) that had a full kitchenette, living room, and 2 bedrooms. The guys and girls went swimming, then came back to the room and hooked a video game player to the TV and took turns playing games, watching movies, music videos, and just hanging out. We brought in a bunch of pizza, chips, etc. and stocked the fridge with soda, bottled water, etc.

The girls had to leave by midnight and the guys took over the living room and the large bedroom (we brought sleeping bags). The smaller room was for the chaperons, my older daughter and her friend relieved me at 2am. I came back at 9am with breakfast stuff, cereal, microwave breakfast, pizza, muffins, juice, etc. and fed the boys and made sure they cleaned up before we checked out.

I have to admit I was a bit apprehensive when my son 1st suggested this, but it turned out great. I just made sure they knew the rules ahead of time, noise level down, no boys/girls alone, and no rowdy behavior. They all behaved and more than anything seemed to just enjoy being able to hang out and talk without any really structured stuff.

For girls, you might want to throw in some "make-over" items such as makeup, stuff to do nails, curling irons, temp hair paint, etc. and let them have fun with that. (03/24/2010)

By lyonpridej

14th Birthday Party Ideas

If you choose to stay in the hotel for the night since almost all girls that are 14 years old have a cell phone let the girls sit in a goofy circle and each one gets only one time to call another person, but a friend who would understand, and make a prank phone call. Before caller i.d. we had so much fun doing this. Also, instead of dinner the night before do simple fun things and have all the girls to bring dress up old-fashioned clothes and prissily go out to a nice breakfast. (03/25/2010)

By Judy

March 22, 2010 Flag

I have a daughter that is turning 14 years old this February. She wants to go out somewhere with her friends. She doesn't want to go ice skating, because she did that last year for her party. If you know any places that have good reasonable prices for 8 friends please let me know.

By Katie from Silver Spring, MD

Answers:

14th Birthday Party Ideas

Bowling, Wall Climbing (some arcade houses or rec areas), Teen Center, Indoor swimming (college, school or Rec Center), Mall (what girl doesn't like hanging at the mall with friends). (01/14/2010)

By Suntydt

14th Birthday Party Ideas

Take them out to dinner to a not very expensive steak restaurant. Or a fancy hamburger joint like Red Robin. (01/18/2010)

By cookwie

14th Birthday Party Ideas

I don't know what your daughter likes to do, but bowling is making a big comeback these days. It's good for all ages, and is relatively inexpensive. You can even arrange with the bowling alley to provide a party package that would include a game or two for your group, pizza and drinks. (01/21/2010)

By JustPlainJo

January 13, 2010 Flag

I really need some help. It's my 14th birthday in May and I don't know what to do. I need some ideas, I was thinking of hiring a hall and doing something in there, but I don't know what. I was thinking of having about 20 girls, but we only have about 100 pounds max to spend. Have you got any ideas? Thanks.

Georgia from West Sussex

Answers:

14th Birthday Party Ideas

If your looking for something more exciting and different other than a sleepover and a girls night, then the first step you need to do in order to have a night that's stress free and memorable, is to invite only the people you feel won't be a drag on your night and won't bring you down. Invite the people you know will have fun with whatever you do.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, then don't. Its easier than you think. What people don't remember is that this birthday party isn't for impressing people its for your birthday. It's your celebration and on this day you can do whatever you want.

An idea. Put together a play list of all your favorite, raving party music and play it. If no one gets up and dances don't worry, as least its not silent. Then have the normal food out; chips, whatever you think fits with the theme. If you really like a certain movie, like The Notebook, then base your theme on that and make everyone dress up like they are from the 40s, with dresses, hats, and bright red lipstick, and fancy jewelry.

If that's not your style and you want to be chill, then just hang with your friends, put together a nice dinner and pretend to be royalty with nice music in the back and act all polite. Then later that night put on crazy music and just jump around and dance. It's more fun than it sounds. Then everyone will feel comfortable around each other and see being silly and making a fool out of yourself in front of people isn't bad.

Just remember whatever someone might say like "this party is not fun" just be like "then why are you still here?" as long as your having fun don't let others drag you down, its your birthday. Don't put too much thought into your party, the theme or idea or whatever it might be will come to, and when it does it will be amazing. (03/15/2008)

By Flo

14th Birthday Party Ideas

If you are having a boy/girl party, but you are planning to not spend a lot of money you could have the party at your house and have a bonfire and play "manhunt" at night. You can also have a water balloon fight. It doesn't sound that much fun, but when you try it it is really fun because usually everyone participates in the games. Also, have a lot of food it gives everyone energy to play. (03/30/2008)

By Kenzie

14th Birthday Party Ideas

Try hiring a bouncy castle. Even at 14, the kids love it. (05/22/2008)

By Corinna

14th Birthday Party Ideas

You should do a mall scavenger hunt. I went to a party last month and we had to go into all different stores with a partner and do specific things then take a picture of it. An example was that we had to wear the weirdest things like a blue floor length prom dress or get the signature of the guy working at the tuxedo store and ask him "Do we have to return the tuxedo when we're done?" Oh and you try not to see or talk to any other teams. It was so much fun. (05/27/2008)

By Kaylee

14th Birthday Party Ideas

You should do a carnival theme. (06/05/2008)

14th Birthday Party Ideas

You should theme it on a prom, like all your mates should bring a guy with them or you could just have an almighty P.J party at your house pick out some great DVD s get your parents to rent a 15 or more and scare or laugh your self silly. Also do things like best snores, first asleep, best PJs, etc. (08/11/2008)

By Bex

14th Birthday Party Ideas

Cheap tickets to the theatre. The theatre is always fun. If it's your thing. (08/29/2008)

By Made of Awesome

14th Birthday Party Ideas

I have a great idea, you can do a murder mystery and everyone comes to your house dressed as there character in the murder and you have to solve it. When we did it we had a set of books and we turned off all the lights and it was really scary. (12/31/2008)

By Danielle

February 26, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

February 20, 2008 Flag
Kids gathered around cake at birthday.
14th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
Holidays and Parties Parties AdviceMay 26, 2010
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
14th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
14th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
12th Birthday Party
12th Birthday Party Ideas for Boys
A plate of sushi at a Japanese themed birthday party.
Japanese Themed Birthday Party Ideas
🎄