Installing Pergo Over Tile

I have tile squares in my bedroom. I had wall to wall carpeting installed over it and now want to remove it. Can I re-tile over the existing tile? I would like to put down Pergo or wood grained vinyl tiles. The other tiles had been glued to the floor, that is why I would rather not have to remove them. Any other suggestions for this project? Thanks.

By Monica from Northeast PA

The main problem in putting tile over tile is after a time of foot traffic. The impressed pattern of the tile from the bottom shows through the top. We had covered a 'brick' pattern vinyl, with one that looked like wood planks. Now the wood planks have depressions of bricks that are visible.

I would ask the people at the diy store, or call a professional and ask.

Get the heavier Pergo, add an underlayment that comes with it, and follow instructions carefully, realizing that if your old tiles are thick, there might be a shoe trap at the doorways, so count on a good reducer that can adjust from the height of the Pergo down to whatever is in the next room or hallway.

FYI I wondered if Pergo could go in the bath or kitchen, so I took some leftovers off a neighbor's curb side pickup and laid them out on a table for over a year in the rain, expecting them to buckle, warp, peel, etc., but was amazed that they held up so very well!

Now I hope to gather remnants from other DIY'ers leftovers and mix colors of Pergo, just as real wood is often done, within reason, of course. If only a slight shade off, I'll mix and match, alternating the planks until I have covered one of my bedrooms, perhaps extending into the hallway and adjoining bath. It's thick enough that if your underlying tiles are not loose, it should lay out great.

Some maintenance guys in apt. complexes I worked in said the cheaper, thinner grades will move after absorbing humidity in this area, and shift just enough to cause problems. Yet, if laid properly, edges/ joints glued evenly, I cannot see how it could be too great a problem, can you? I'm considering some sort of lighter kind of tile mastic? and placing the Pergo directly over the well-cleaned and dry asphalt-type sheet linoleum I have. It looks great in a kitchen AND bath, believe me.

I've collected spare tiles enough to install them on the inside floor of the cabinets in kitchen, utility closet, hot water closet, and bath cabinet for water resistance and good appearance! If I get enough, I may also add them like baseboard around the edges of the Pergo, as long as it looks OK when I stand them up first. I've also considered edging both the baseboard AND a single outline around the Pergo in the kitchen/bath. I've seen wood and tile mixed in geometric patterns in remodeling books that look great if I have the talent/patience for doing it. God bless and help you. : )

There should be no problem laying Pergo over the existing mastic tiles. I've had portions of my home professionally done (glue type) and later laid the rest of the house myself (click type) all over tile without any problems. Buy the installation kit and proper underlayment. If you have the time, visit your nearest Home Depot or Lowes and attend a demonstration for installation of laminate flooring products. There are a few tricks to learn that will not be in the video.

I have 12 mm Pergo with Pergo gold under layment and I love it. The Cambridge Amber Oak is wonderful and does not show foot prints like the shiny does.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringMay 4, 2009
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops
Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
🎄