Bring Your Own Coffee

Save money on the purchase of a coffee at the mall by bringing your coffee from home in a travel mug. You can still sit in the food court with the other shoppers to enjoy your coffee without the expense.

By Linda from Waterdown, ON

January 27, 2010 Flag

I like to have a cup of coffee on my way to work. Sometimes I spend a dollar on this luxury. About a month ago, I was at Gordon Foods in Michigan (they are a institutional food supplier with retail outlets). I went to the paper products aisle and found styrofoam cups (a variety of sizes) and lids to go with them. The price was very reasonable. Now I take a cup of coffee from home in one of these. Probably costs me an additional 10 cents (I would have thrown the left over coffee in the sink. Now I drink it on the way to work. Sure makes traffic jams and train crossings more bearable.
-Cindy from Michigan

Answers:

Bring Your Own Coffee

You could also look at a thrift store or rummage sale for an insulated travel mug with a lid, that way you don't have any trash to throw away. And styrofoam takes FOREVER to biodegrade in the landfill. (02/15/2005)

By jlxian

Bring Your Own Coffee

It would be more thrifty to take an insulated mug with a cover, styrofoam is not really good for you. If you have to have a disposable cup. please use paper. Dee (02/15/2005)

By Diamondee

Bring Your Own Coffee

My husband was always taking a cup of coffee to work, but never brought the cups back. Ceramic coffee cups, insulated travel mugs; he never brought them home. I was down to 3 coffee cups and that's when I started using styrofoam cups. It's a lot cheaper than replacing coffee cups all the time. (02/16/2005)

By Jannie

Bring Your Own Coffee

Did you know putting hot liquid in styrofoam cups it not good for your health? it pulls chemicals out of the styrofoam. One of the most popular fast food chains stopped using styrofoam is for this reason. (02/16/2005)

By Dotty

Bring Your Own Coffee

The disposable cup "Cindy from Michigan" is speaking of isn't styrofoam. It is called "Perfect Touch" paper coffee cup and is made by Dixie. It is an insulated paper cup w/ a nonslip texture. It's made completely of paper. (05/11/2006)

By Shannon

Bring Your Own Coffee

When my hubby and I stop at Dutch Brothers or other coffee places on the way home, we usually find they are "double cupped" so I keep the extras and wash the lids. I also keep the Java Jackets (cardboard that slips around the cup) in my purse/diaper bag and reuse them. My cup I only have to rinse out, being I drink my coffee straight. My husband loads his with milk and splenda, so I only throw that one away. I don't know how many dollar travel mugs I wasted for him, only to find them hiding under the car seats with milk/sugar film in them! I have thrown out more of those than cups! (05/11/2006)

By camo_angels

Bring Your Own Coffee

For those of you who like reusing the same travel mug over and over again, I would recommend the Nissan (Thermos) Stainless mug. I bought one in college when the coffee craze was just starting in the Northwest (about 15 years ago) and I still have it and use it today. It is dented and is missing the rubber middle, but it still works as good as ever. I have had it keep coffee or tea at a drinkable temperature for over 4 hours. Because it is stainless steel, even sour milk or other forgotten beverages can be scoured out with no problem.

My husband bought me a shiny new one for my birthday last year but I still refused to give it up. He took it to work this morning. :)

By Jess

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Travel Mugs
Saving Money on Travel Mugs
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJanuary 27, 2010
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Coffee Stain on Carpet
Removing a Coffee Stain from Carpet
Coffee and dessert reception.
Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas
cup of coffee
Making Coffee Without a Coffee Maker
🎉
🎄