Dog is Hiding and Won't Eat

My 7 year old Schnauzer has started going under the bed and will not come out, even for food. Does anyone have any ideas? I dragged him out, gave him a kiss and a hug, and he went right back under the bed. Could it be the heat or hormones or what?

By Jrtjingles from Pensacola, FL

Best Answer

Poor little dear! What did he have to eat? Could he have been hurt or scared by a bug or bee? I wonder if he saw or heard something that he didn't understand..like a gunshot or an explosive noise of some sort. Looking at the fear response it seems like something that he feels he can get away from by being under the bed. Just talk to him and tell him it is ok and if it doesn't resolve go for a well dog check at the vets for a sedative, probably a form of benydryl.

Robyn

Best Answer

I'm gonna say pain, bring the dog to the vet as soon as you can. When my mini Schnauzer had a very painful surgery a few years ago, she did this not long after I had gotten her home. I called my vet and he said that that is the way they behave when they are in pain (he had given her pain meds before she left the office but it must have worn off). I ushered her back to the vet and he gave her another shot of meds. After this, I kept her on a strict pain med schedule for the first few days so the pain would not return and she never hid again.

If this is not normal for your dog, don't assume it's hearing loss, or needing alone time or anything else. Go to a vet.

Best Answer

I used to work for a vet. This sounds like typical behavior for an animal in pain. Take the poor little baby to a vet immediately!

My friend's chihuahua did this when he had fleas really bad. It seems the fleas were not so bothersome in the dark. Is this a possibility?

These little animals can really get to us! They are so loving and sweet, and then when something is wrong with them, and they can't tell us what, it is heartbreaking!

There is a plug in product from some of the online animal supply places, that is supposed to help calm nervous animals. I would see if that may help---I don't think it can harm them.

I'm beginning to think he might have an upper respiratory infection or cold. He is coming out from under the bed some now, but his ears are very warm.

This sounds to me like internal pain, abdominal pain. I would get him an exam (yep that involves the word V-E-T.) Behavior like that is seen in wolves who are mortally hurt who are crawling off to die.

My little Sophia is a Schauzer mix. She does that sometimes when she wants to be alone. She is VERY independent. She does not eat much either, but a very good vet I had once said not to worry, as long as they are eating something.

As our dog aged, we noticed he was losing his hearing. He was never afraid of any noises, like lightning, gun shots, etc. But as his hearing failed, certain noises would scare him. We think because of his hearing was diminishing, noises sounded different to him. he didn't understand the change of the sounds so he became confused and afraid. Our vet agreed and we just had to soothe him by petting him and reassuring him.

Animals (and people, too), do not change their habits for no reason. For his sake and well-being get him to a vet to rule out a medical/health reason for this change.

Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 30, 2009
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
girl looking at a pimple
Hiding a Pimple
Small dog looking sad next to a red bowl of dog food.
Dog Won't Eat After Being Spayed
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
🎉
🎄